Graduate schools in particle physics

In summary, there are many universities in the US, Canada, and England that offer graduate programs in theoretical particle physics with a focus on Yang-Mills, string theory, and SUGRA. Some potential schools to consider include Harvard, Stanford, MIT, Princeton, and Caltech, among others. With your qualifications, you may have a reasonable chance of being accepted into programs ranked between the top 15 and 35.
GoldPheonix
Hello, I'm a ungrad inbetween my junior and senior year, and I'm looking to go into particle physics. Specifically, I'm interested in entering a graduate program with researchers who specialize in Yang-Mills, string theory, and/or SUGRA. I'm also interested in gravitation and its relationship to particle physics. My current university is rather anti-string theory, so I'm not entirely certain I trust them to give me accurate advice about the university that I ought to attend.

About me:
I'm not (on paper) a spectacular student, but I'm certainly not bad, either. I have a double major in mathematics and physics with a 3.2-3.3 GPA, so I'm an A-B student with a few C's. I've taken a graduate level math course (differential topology), I'm decently well-versed in differential geometry, and I know how to do general relativity. I have payed research experience (one summer) and have done volunteer research for a year, both in theoretical cosmology (No publications). I'm taking the phys subject GRE in the fall so I don't have any data on that yet. My current university is between top 10-40 in physics undergraduate. I will have at least one good letter of recommendation, though I expect I'll have a second good letter of recommendation from my senior project adviser.

(Any place in the US, Canada, or England is where I'd prefer to be)So, I'm looking for advice on: a range, preferably below top 15 (although I'd like to have 1 or 2 just in case, but I don't think with my information its reasonable to expect to get into tier 1 schools) but above top 35. The schools/researchers that I looking for are interested in, as I said, SUGRA, Yang-Mills, and string theory.Can anyone help me assemble a list of universities that fit these criterion, and that I have a reasonable expectation of getting into? Like I said, I've been looking around and I'm not sure which universities fit into what I'm looking for.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It sounds like you are interested in a graduate program focusing on theoretical particle physics, specifically in the areas of Yang-Mills, string theory, and SUGRA. There are several universities around the world that offer this type of program and have excellent faculty in these fields. Here is a list of potential universities to look into: 1. Harvard University 2. Stanford University 3. Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) 4. Princeton University 5. California Institute of Technology (Caltech) 6. Columbia University 7. University of California, Berkeley 8. University of Chicago 9. Cornell University 10. University of Cambridge 11. Imperial College London 12. University of Oxford 13. University of Edinburgh 14. University of Toronto 15. University of Montreal 16. McGill University 17. University of British Columbia 18. University of Alberta 19. University of Michigan 20. University of Wisconsin-Madison 21. University of Pennsylvania 22. Duke University 23. University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA) 24. University of Washington 25. University of Maryland 26. Yale University 27. University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign 28. Northwestern University 29. University of California, Santa Barbara 30. University of Minnesota 31. Johns Hopkins University 32. University of Colorado Boulder 33. University of California, San Diego (UCSD) 34. Rutgers University 35. Brown University 36. Georgia Institute of Technology 37. University of California, Irvine (UCI) 38. University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill 39. University of Arizona 40. University of Texas at Austin

1. What is particle physics and what do graduate schools in this field focus on?

Particle physics is a branch of physics that studies the fundamental building blocks of matter and the forces that govern their interactions. This includes subatomic particles such as quarks, leptons, and bosons. Graduate schools in this field focus on theoretical and experimental research in understanding these particles and their interactions.

2. What are the requirements for admission into a graduate program in particle physics?

The exact requirements may vary between different graduate schools, but in general, applicants should have a strong background in physics, mathematics, and computer science. They should also have completed undergraduate coursework in mechanics, electromagnetism, quantum mechanics, and thermodynamics. Most programs also require applicants to submit GRE scores and letters of recommendation.

3. What kind of research opportunities are available for graduate students in particle physics?

Graduate schools in particle physics offer a wide range of research opportunities for students, including theoretical and experimental projects. Some common research areas include high-energy particle collisions, astroparticle physics, and nuclear physics. Students may also have the opportunity to work on projects at major research facilities such as CERN or Fermilab.

4. Are there any specialized programs or concentrations within graduate schools for particle physics?

Yes, some graduate schools offer specialized programs or concentrations within their particle physics department. This could include specific areas of research, such as dark matter or particle astrophysics, or interdisciplinary programs that combine particle physics with other fields such as cosmology or computer science.

5. What career paths are available for graduates with a degree in particle physics?

Graduates with a degree in particle physics have a wide range of career options. Many go on to work in research positions at universities, national laboratories, or other scientific institutions. Others may pursue careers in industry, such as working in the development of new technologies or data analysis for companies in fields such as healthcare or energy. Some graduates also choose to pursue teaching positions in academia.