Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Graduate schools in particle physics

1. Jun 4, 2010 #1
    Hello, I'm a ungrad inbetween my junior and senior year, and I'm looking to go into particle physics. Specifically, I'm interested in entering a graduate program with researchers who specialize in Yang-Mills, string theory, and/or SUGRA. I'm also interested in gravitation and its relationship to particle physics. My current university is rather anti-string theory, so I'm not entirely certain I trust them to give me accurate advice about the university that I ought to attend.

About me:
    I'm not (on paper) a spectacular student, but I'm certainly not bad, either. I have a double major in mathematics and physics with a 3.2-3.3 GPA, so I'm an A-B student with a few C's. I've taken a graduate level math course (differential topology), I'm decently well-versed in differential geometry, and I know how to do general relativity. I have payed research experience (one summer) and have done volunteer research for a year, both in theoretical cosmology (No publications). I'm taking the phys subject GRE in the fall so I don't have any data on that yet. My current university is between top 10-40 in physics undergraduate. I will have at least one good letter of recommendation, though I expect I'll have a second good letter of recommendation from my senior project adviser.

(Any place in the US, Canada, or England is where I'd prefer to be)

So, I'm looking for advice on: a range, preferably below top 15 (although I'd like to have 1 or 2 just in case, but I don't think with my information its reasonable to expect to get into tier 1 schools) but above top 35. The schools/researchers that I looking for are interested in, as I said, SUGRA, Yang-Mills, and string theory.

Can anyone help me assemble a list of universities that fit these criterion, and that I have a reasonable expectation of getting into? Like I said, I've been looking around and I'm not sure which universities fit into what I'm looking for.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2010
  2. jcsd
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted