1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Graduate Studies in the UK

1. Nov 17, 2012 #1
    I'm not sure how familiar people on here are with this topic.

I really love the UK (studied in London for a few months) and was considering going there for my graduate studies.

However, the university I was really interested in (Imperial) stated that they do not offer graduate students funding/waive tuition/provide stipends.

Has anyone run into this problem before?

Is this applicable to the UK as an entity?

Any information would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 17, 2012 #2
    It's very, very common not to be funded by your university when doing graduate studies in the UK. Most UK residents seek funding from EPSRC directly or enter a programme for which funding has already been secured from a body external to the university. Some universities, however, are wealthy enough to offer at least partial funding; a case in point is here at Cambridge, where the Cambridge Trust and Cambridge European Trust offer bursaries or scholarships that cover tuition fees either in part or in full. Alternatively, if you're a foreign student you might find more success in checking if your government offers scholarships for studying abroad; Germans, in particular, often go down this route when they study here.

In other words, there's no single correct answer to your question; the funding situation here in the UK is as heterogeneous as it is in any other country and the only way you'll be able to figure out what your options are is by doing some legwork and contacting universities for up-to-date information on their funding situation.

4. Nov 17, 2012 #3
    I'm also studying in London at the moment as part of an exchange program, which I suspect was your case as well. Afaik, EPSRC/NRC does not fund non-UK citizens/EU residents that haven't resided in the UK for less than 3 years (excluding phds, but it's still harder for foreigners to obtain funding). This is why I discarded the UK for graduate study about a year ago. You'd have a far easier time getting into schools with funding in the US I'm afraid.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2012
  5. Nov 18, 2012 #4
    A lot of good universities offer full funding for good/excellent international students for science and engineering subjects

Imperial are exploiting the fact that foreign students will pay a lot of money to get status.
    If you go to (almost) any other UK university and get full tuition funding.

So, if you have a lot of money you can go where you want. If you have limited funds you will have to compromise and go somewhere you can afford.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook