Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Graduate studies questions

  1. Jul 18, 2005 #1
    New to the forums.

    Im going to graduate in CompSci at the end of next spring, and I have been thinking about graduate studies. I have always had an awesome interest in physics, and im going to tackle the Feynman lectures this summer. I was wondering is if anyone knows whether its possible to do graduate studies in physics after getting a degree in something else. Is it possible? Should I get a minor in physics first? Any advice would be awesome.


    PS I would love to make some sort of contribution to quantum computing for my thesis.
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 18, 2005 #2
    try looking to do a joint venture in cs/physics...there are some schools have a dual programme but you gotta enroll i n the first...UBCs (math/cs)/science one comes to mind
    thils might be your best bet unless you already have prep work in phys...
    or you can do a MSc in cs do prep work in phys...like doing num.sims for a prof and then build to your phd.
  4. Jul 19, 2005 #3
    Well im going to graduate this spring so enrolling somewhere else wouldn't really be possible. I was thinking I could get a minor in physics and then I could try the GREs after studying for them, does that sound plausible?
  5. Jul 19, 2005 #4
    well if you planned ahead there are programmes to enter in the spring....I think its nov/feb deadlines for sept...and august(next month) for jan entries.
    but if you are financially secure then doing a minor in physics(even just 1 year) & gres might be your best choice.
  6. Jul 19, 2005 #5
    ok ive got another way to ask the same question, what would the timeline be like if I wanted to pursue the masters of phd in physics. Would I have to essentialy back track and take all the undergrad physics courses and math, and then get to work on the postgrad courses. I am under the impression that is what I would have to do.
  7. Jul 19, 2005 #6


    User Avatar
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2018 Award

    What is a "masters of phd in physics"?!

    We again keep getting questions like this, and I will once again refer to one of the earlier threads that tried to address this.


  8. Jul 19, 2005 #7
    masters OR phd in physics i'm guessing...i'd explore the option of doing a joint cs/physics MSc degree hopefully you can take the proper undergrad work there (then do the phd)...

    and if you've done a cs you should have done majority of the math in phys, i guess depending on the school but ODE/PDE perhaps complex/relativity may be needed...call schools and ask around
  9. Jul 19, 2005 #8
    As I hear it takes about two years to get your masters.

    I am not sure. I wouldn't want to give you bad advise, but it seems reasonable to me that if your masters thesis is a part of physics related to computer science you could be able to study the other parts of physics and mathematics by yourself.
    From Wikipedia: The Master of Arts (Magister Artium) and Master of Science (Magister ScientiƦ) degrees are the basic type in most subjects and may be entirely course-based, entirely research-based or a mixture.

    Aaaargh! So many abbreviations in one line. :yuck: :biggrin:

    Thesis advisors?
    Maybe he wants to pursue his thesis advisor in a high-speed car chase? :smile:
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook