Graduate studies questions

In summary, getting a masters in physics after getting a degree in something else is possible, but it may require backtracking and doing extra undergraduate courses.
nousplacidus
New to the forums.

Im going to graduate in CompSci at the end of next spring, and I have been thinking about graduate studies. I have always had an awesome interest in physics, and I am going to tackle the Feynman lectures this summer. I was wondering is if anyone knows whether its possible to do graduate studies in physics after getting a degree in something else. Is it possible? Should I get a minor in physics first? Any advice would be awesome.

Thanks

PS I would love to make some sort of contribution to quantum computing for my thesis.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
try looking to do a joint venture in cs/physics...there are some schools have a dual programme but you got to enroll i n the first...UBCs (math/cs)/science one comes to mind
thils might be your best bet unless you already have prep work in phys...
or you can do a MSc in cs do prep work in phys...like doing num.sims for a prof and then build to your phd.

Well I am going to graduate this spring so enrolling somewhere else wouldn't really be possible. I was thinking I could get a minor in physics and then I could try the GREs after studying for them, does that sound plausible?

well if you planned ahead there are programmes to enter in the spring...I think its nov/feb deadlines for sept...and august(next month) for jan entries.
but if you are financially secure then doing a minor in physics(even just 1 year) & gres might be your best choice.

ok I've got another way to ask the same question, what would the timeline be like if I wanted to pursue the masters of phd in physics. Would I have to essentialy back track and take all the undergrad physics courses and math, and then get to work on the postgrad courses. I am under the impression that is what I would have to do.

nousplacidus said:
ok I've got another way to ask the same question, what would the timeline be like if I wanted to pursue the masters of phd in physics. Would I have to essentialy back track and take all the undergrad physics courses and math, and then get to work on the postgrad courses. I am under the impression that is what I would have to do.

What is a "masters of phd in physics"?!

We again keep getting questions like this, and I will once again refer to one of the earlier threads that tried to address this.

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=64966&highlight=so-and-so+degree+physics

Zz.

masters OR phd in physics I'm guessing...i'd explore the option of doing a joint cs/physics MSc degree hopefully you can take the proper undergrad work there (then do the phd)...

and if you've done a cs you should have done majority of the math in phys, i guess depending on the school but ODE/PDE perhaps complex/relativity may be needed...call schools and ask around

what would the timeline be like if I wanted to pursue the masters of phd in physics
As I hear it takes about two years to get your masters.

Would I have to essentialy back track and take all the undergrad physics courses and math, and then get to work on the postgrad courses. I am under the impression that is what I would have to do.
I am not sure. I wouldn't want to give you bad advise, but it seems reasonable to me that if your masters thesis is a part of physics related to computer science you could be able to study the other parts of physics and mathematics by yourself.
From Wikipedia: The Master of Arts (Magister Artium) and Master of Science (Magister Scientiæ) degrees are the basic type in most subjects and may be entirely course-based, entirely research-based or a mixture.

or you can do a MSc in cs do prep work in phys...like doing num.sims for a prof and then build to your phd.
Aaaargh! So many abbreviations in one line. :yuck: :biggrin:

What is a "masters of phd in physics"?!
Thesis advisors?
Maybe he wants to pursue his thesis advisor in a high-speed car chase? :smile:

1. What are the requirements for admission into a graduate program?

The requirements for admission into a graduate program vary depending on the specific program and institution. Generally, applicants must have a bachelor's degree from an accredited university, a strong academic record, and letters of recommendation. Some programs may also require standardized test scores, such as the GRE or GMAT.

2. How long does it typically take to complete a graduate program?

The length of a graduate program can vary depending on the program and whether the student is attending full-time or part-time. On average, a master's degree can take 1-2 years to complete, while a doctorate degree can take 3-6 years.

3. Can I work while pursuing a graduate degree?

Many graduate programs offer flexible schedules to accommodate working professionals. However, it is important to consider the workload and time commitment of your specific program before taking on additional work. Some programs may also have restrictions on outside employment.

4. How much does a graduate degree cost?

The cost of a graduate degree can vary greatly depending on the program, institution, and whether the student is attending full-time or part-time. On average, graduate programs can cost anywhere from $30,000 to $120,000. It is important to research and consider financial aid options, such as scholarships and grants, to help offset the cost.

5. What career opportunities are available with a graduate degree?

The career opportunities available with a graduate degree depend on the specific program and field of study. In general, a graduate degree can lead to higher-paying and more specialized positions in a variety of industries. It is important to research and understand the potential career paths for your specific program before enrolling.