1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Graduating with integrated MSci physics with a 2:2

1. Nov 10, 2011 #1
    Hi, I'm currently a 4th year MSci student and to fill you in briefly, I'm currently on a 2:2. I got a good 2:1 during my first two years but during my third year, I did really badly so it brought my grades down by A LOT (I got a third last year).

Because I passed all my exams, I wasn't allowed to retake the year so my only option was to carry on with the MSci degree or graduate with a low 2:2. I took the option of carrying on the MSci degree and mathematically, I'll have to average out 73% percent in order to get a 2:1 overall. It's possible but it's going to be very very difficult.

My main question is that just in case it comes down to the worst and I graduate with a 2:2 for MSci physics, how much of a dent will it have on my future and employability? Most employers hire 2:1 or higher bachelor degrees but it doesn't say anything about Masters.

Without sounding rather daft or shallow, I want to go into finance or banking or I at least want a job that pays well. I'm motivated by the thought of money. Surely a 2:2 in a physics masters is better than a 2:1 in bachelors degree in Media Studies, Business and Management etc.

I just don't like the idea of my future being decided (or dented) just from that one bad unfortunate academic year that I've had.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted