1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Graduation time and scores.

1. Jul 6, 2012 #1
    Good evening to everyone,

I know this forum must be filled with posts like mine, but i felt it necessary to post anew, providing all my data. So, basically my dillema is this: I am a senior in physics BS undergraduate course, in Greece. I picked up physics since that is the only thing i wanted to do for so long as I can remember. As of now, finishing the 4rth academic year ( 8th semester ) of my studies, my current total average score is 8.27 on the scale of 10. In my university that is considered a very good score, but since I would like to apply for master's courses abroad and maybe try for a scholarship, I'd very much like to know how good an average of 82,7% seems to people abroad. Also, so far I have yet to complete 3 more courses to finish the undergrad course and receive my degree. that delay is due to strikes last year which resulted in the exams period being cancelled.

I won't go into detail on the matter but due to legislation changes on exam periods there is a chance that I will have to sit the last test next June, unless i pass the class in September. The problem is that I feel the time won't be enough for me to be able to prepare well enough to try for good scores on the remaining classes. So, should I take those 1 or 2 more semester to study in my own pace and get good scores or try and finish my studies on their intended time ? How does graduation time affect my options for graduate masters courses admissions ?

a little bit for the courses I've taken so far:

courses on all basic and advanced math knowledge needed to a physicist: calculus incl complex, vector analysis, linear algebra, partial / ord. diff equations , Fourier,etc.
    Lagrangian/Nwt mechanics, electromagnetism advanced, adv quantum mechanics, thermodynamics, statistical mechanics, special relativity, astrophysics. Also, I've taken quite a few classes on solid state physics, specializing in semiconductor physics and MOS technology. My BS thesis is on high-k dielectrics on Ge-MOS devices. Also taken courses in numerical analysis with applications in fluid mechanics, and learned C++ and Fortran in the process. Well, that covers the most important aspects.

I hope i didn't tire you too much. Awaiting on your judgement and opinions.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted