Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Grain size and cross section!

1. May 9, 2013 #1
    Hey everyone,
    So I've been killing myself trying to find a good reference that talks about the wavelength dependence of dust grains when the size of the grain is about the size of the incoming light, or s~lambda. I have numerous references for when s<<lambda (absorption dominates with a s/lambda*thomson cross section dependence) and when s>>lambda (absorption again dominates and the cross section is simply the thomson cross section), but all the texts I've sifted through so far shy away from s~lambda though. My intuition tells me that in this regime where s~lambda, scattering dominates with a rayleigh scattering dependence of thomson*(s/lambda)^4, but I need a reference somewhere which talks about this. Anyone know of any??

Ari

2. jcsd
  3. May 10, 2013 #2
    Are you talking about Mie theory or Mie scattering as a solution to your problem.
    Don't ask me how it works because I have no clue.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook