Gram matrix distributions

In summary, the relation between the distributions of HHH and HHH is complex wishart distribution with the same parameters due to their shared nonzero eigenvalues. The complex wishart distribution is a probability distribution over complex matrices with positive definite Hermitian matrices as its support, and it is characterized by two parameters, n and \sigma. Both HHH and HHH have the same nonzero eigenvalues, resulting in them having the same distribution. This is because the complex wishart distribution is a generalization of the real wishart distribution and is commonly used in statistical signal processing and multivariate analysis.
nikozm
Hello,

Assume that H is a n \times m matrix with i.i.d. complex Gaussian entries each with zero mean and variance \sigma. Also, let n>=m. I ' m interested in finding the relation between the distribution of HHH and HHH, where H stands for the Hermittian transposition. I anticipate that both follow the complex wishart distribution with the same parameters (since they share the same nonzero eigenvalues), but I m not sure about this.

Any ideas ? Thanks in advance..

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello,

Thank you for your question. The relation between the distributions of HHH and HHH is indeed complex wishart distribution with the same parameters. This is because both HHH and HHH have the same nonzero eigenvalues, which is a property of the complex wishart distribution. The complex wishart distribution is a generalization of the real wishart distribution and is commonly used in statistical signal processing and multivariate analysis.

To understand this further, let's first define the complex wishart distribution. It is a probability distribution over complex matrices with positive definite Hermitian matrices as its support. It is also known as the complex Gaussian distribution of the second kind. The complex wishart distribution is characterized by two parameters, n and \sigma, where n is the degree of freedom and \sigma is the covariance matrix. In your case, n is equal to the number of rows in H and \sigma is the variance of the complex Gaussian entries.

Now, let's look at the relation between HHH and HHH. As mentioned earlier, both matrices have the same nonzero eigenvalues. This means that the eigenvalues of HHH and HHH are equal, and therefore, they have the same distribution. Since the distribution of HHH is complex wishart with parameters n and \sigma, the distribution of HHH will also be complex wishart with the same parameters.

I hope this helps to clarify your doubts. If you have any further questions, please feel free to ask. Thank you.

1. What is a Gram matrix distribution?

A Gram matrix distribution is a probability distribution of the coefficients in a Gram matrix, which is a matrix of dot products between vectors in a set. It is often used in machine learning and statistics to represent relationships between data points.

2. How is a Gram matrix distribution calculated?

A Gram matrix distribution is calculated by first creating a matrix of all possible dot products between the vectors in a set. The coefficients in this matrix are then used to calculate the probability of each possible combination, resulting in a probability distribution.

3. What are some applications of Gram matrix distributions?

Gram matrix distributions are commonly used in machine learning algorithms such as principal component analysis and support vector machines. They can also be used in statistics to model the covariance structure of a dataset.

4. How is a Gram matrix distribution related to eigenvalues and eigenvectors?

A Gram matrix distribution is closely related to the eigenvalues and eigenvectors of the Gram matrix. The eigenvalues represent the variance of the data in each principal component, while the eigenvectors represent the directions of maximum variance.

5. Can a Gram matrix distribution be used for non-linear data?

Yes, a Gram matrix distribution can be used for non-linear data by applying a kernel function, which maps the data into a higher dimensional space where it becomes linearly separable. This allows for the use of linear algorithms on non-linear data.