Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Grammar - not even wrong

1. Dec 2, 2011 #1

Evo

Staff: Mentor

I watch a lot of cooking shows and the misuse of the term au jus drves me crazy. In the last 30 minutes 8 people have misused the term 20 times. Au jus means "with juice", you can serve something "au jus" but you cannot serve something "with au jus", you cannot make an "au jus", AAARRRGHH!

I started reading this list of common mistakes and thought I'd share, but knowing the grammar Nazis we have here, I wonder what mistakes members will find?

http://www.thetruthaboutgrammar.com/everything-you-need-to-know-about-grammar [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 2, 2011 #2

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

I'm with you on that Evo. I have seen on menus "extra au jus". Makes me want to find the person who wrote it and hurt them.

4. Dec 2, 2011 #3

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

So you know how I feel when people, meaning nearly everybody, use the terms "energy," "force," and "power" interchangeably.

5. Dec 2, 2011 #4

Astronuc

with or without au jus? :biggrin: :rofl:

6. Dec 2, 2011 #5

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

That site is actually very useful for non-english speakers!!

7. Dec 2, 2011 #6

turbo

Gold Member

I want my roast beef sandwich with au jus, please... even with extra au jus, if you're not feeling generous with the au jus...

(Runs and hides from Evo!)

8. Dec 2, 2011 #7

jtbell

That must be from the Department of Redundancy Department.

Or rather, the Department of Redundancy Département. :rolleyes:

9. Dec 2, 2011 #8
    If you feel that strongly about it, then order it without au jus.

10. Dec 2, 2011 #9

turbo

Gold Member

Many years ago, I had my oldest friend and his wife over for dinner, and served chili and biscuits. His wife made a comment about why there was so much meat in the chili, and I said that it wouldn't be chili without the meat. Thereupon, I was "treated" to an explanation of how "chili con carne" meant chili with meat, and that chili should normally come with no meat. I'm glad my friend ditched her - wish it hadn't taken so long...

11. Dec 2, 2011 #10

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Don't order your sandwich with au jus juice unless you can pay for it with money from an ATM machine.

12. Dec 2, 2011 #11

Astronuc

This thread reminds me of the U2 song - With or without au jus

13. Dec 2, 2011 #12
    I can't, I forgot my PIN number.

14. Dec 2, 2011 #13

Evo

One of my pet peeves that he missed is the misuse of the word recur. People constantly write and say reoccur when they mean recur. When something happens repeatedly it recurs, as in recurring rates. The rates don't reoccur.

http://www.grammarist.com/usage/recur-reoccur/

What was so annoying was that it was our company's corporate attornies that ALWAYS got this wrong in contracts. I would reject the contract and ask them to use the correct term and had to explain the difference to them.

I was always finding errors in our contracts. In one with Disney, one paragraph negated the prior paragraph, in essence giving them use of a new technology free for eternity. Another had far more devastating effects as it gave preditory pricing (below our costs) to unlimited clients unlimited times. It was essentially an error on par with the SDN debacle. It really shook things up at a high level and I was thanked repeatedly by Executive management but never financially rewarded. :grumpy: How can these high paid lawyers not understand English? (and I'm awful when it comes to proper English, I misuse parenthesis and quote marks, but at least I can read)

Last edited: Dec 2, 2011
  15. Dec 2, 2011 #14
    there is a simple solution. just do what the french do, change the word to your native tongue. so now "au jus" becomes "with freedom juice".

16. Dec 2, 2011 #15

turbo

Gold Member

The last guy that I worked for was a complete moron. He used to use the word "subsequently" instead of "because" just because it was a longer word. Unfortunately, he used to to use "subsequently" interchangeably with "consequently" which gave me fits when dealing with customers. I made that moron millions (net) every year, but it was in spite of him, not because of him.

17. Dec 2, 2011 #16

Dembadon

Gold Member

My pet peeves:

"The deal is, is..."

"Faster Speed"

"First introduced"

"Free gift"

"Different people are different"

"Cross collaborate"

"Intended purpose"

"I'll get there when I get there" :mad:[itex]\infty[/itex]

I'm disgustingly nit-picky when it comes to grammar. Most of the time I don't point out half of the things I notice because then people wouldn't want me around, and it'd be quite pretentious of me to be constantly correcting people during casual conversations. Most people would hate it. I feel differently, though. I'd rather be corrected so I don't continue using language incorrectly. Different people are different, I guess. :biggrin:

18. Dec 2, 2011 #17
    Good one, hehehe.

19. Dec 3, 2011 #18
    Without being a native french speaker (or a cook-even a bad one at that), I would take a guess that "au jus" means "in juice" as in own juice (i.e. something cooked in its own dribbling fat). Then again, I might be the one dribbling here.

Not sure if this alters the required grammar around it.

20. Dec 3, 2011 #19

turbo

Gold Member

My assistant and I had to "clean up" (meaning completely re-write) every piece of transcription that came through our department just because the boss was such a pompous uneducated windbag. We saved a tape for a while in which he proclaimed the qualities of a dresser, "the frontis elaborated with incredulous col'YUms". (emphasis added to accentuate his perpetual mispronounciation of "columns". What the hell is a frontis? And why is it elaborated? And why are the col'YUms so incredulous?

21. Dec 3, 2011 #20
    I'm guessing your boss was saying "The front is elaborated with incredulous columns." For some reason, incredulously, he didn't invocalate the s. "Col'YUms" is the correct enuncification of "columns" for anyone who suspects the n is some sort of bastilleization of what should be an e. A common red erring many people fish for. (Because, were there an e at the end, the word would be elaborated in close relativity to the word "volumes") Subsequently, I wouldn't extinctly caricaturize this as a perpetual mismotion of the word "columns". More like a mismalaproprietization of it.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2011
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook