What is the Grand Canyon Star Party 2005?

• Thread starter Astronuc
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Star
In summary: I mean, from your work.In summary, the conversation was about the upcoming Grand Canyon Star Party, a gathering of amateur astronomers at both the North and South Rims on June 4th-11th. Attendees will have the opportunity to meet other astronomers and share views of the dark sky. Skyjim, a former rocket motor builder for the Shuttle, will be in attendance and it is suggested that anyone interested in telescopes should check out the event. The conversation also includes humorous exchanges about attending the event during finals week and the benefits of being a biology major. The conversation also briefly mentions other upcoming conferences in Austin, TX and Quebec City, with a recommendation to book hotels early for the latter due to peak tourist season.
Astronuc
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
2023 Award
http://www.everything-science.com/components/com_smf/index.php?topic=5801.msg53697#msg53697

This year's Grand Canyon Star Party will be held at both the North and South Rims on June 4th-11th.

This is a fine opportunity to meet other amateur astronomers and to share telescopic views of a very dark sky with people from all over the world - people who are already in a receptive frame of mind due to their presence at one of the planet's great natural wonders.

Try this periodically - http://www.tucsonastronomy.org/gcsp.html - as we get closer to June.

Skyjim is a really cool dude, who used to build rocket motors for the Shuttle, but now works at an observatory. If anyone is interested in telescopes, this is a good place to check them out in action.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
you going to be there?

of course, its finals week so i can't go. Bah.

I would if i could though.

Blow off your finals. There must be an MD somewhere on this board who can write you a convincing excusatory note! :rofl:

Ye gods, I might actually be able to make that one this year! Huzzah! Now all I need to do is convince someone that it's in their best interest to get me out to Arizona for free in early June... *crosses fingers regarding camp counselorships applied for in the area*

Math Is Hard said:
Blow off your finals. There must be an MD somewhere on this board who can write you a convincing excusatory note! :rofl:

Maybe we can write it and just hand it off to adrenaline to sign.

Dear Professors,
Franz has recently been diagnosed with GTMS. As the only effective treatment is GEEK. GEEK is available in concentrated form sufficient for treating his especially severe case only once per year, during the week of Jun 4-11. Please excuse him from exams so he can seek this much needed treatment.

:rofl:

As for me, I'll likely be busy preparing for a conference two weeks after (yay, a conference in Austin, TX in the middle of summer :rolleyes:). But it's the sex behavior conference (that's not what it's really called, but it's pretty much what it's about), so always interesting.

Moonbear said:
As for me, I'll likely be busy preparing for a conference two weeks after (yay, a conference in Austin, TX in the middle of summer :rolleyes:). But it's the sex behavior conference (that's not what it's really called, but it's pretty much what it's about), so always interesting.

Is that all you ever think about, sex?

Thanx for the effort on the note though. I suppose i coul try to get all my finals thursday and friday, grab a couple of other physics majors and spend the 4th-7th there. but it would be really difficult to pull off that kind of scheduling.

Dang it.

Moonbear said:
Dear Professors,
Franz has recently been diagnosed with GTMS. As the only effective treatment is GEEK. GEEK is available in concentrated form sufficient for treating his especially severe case only once per year, during the week of Jun 4-11. Please excuse him from exams so he can seek this much needed treatment.

It took me waaaay too long to remember what GTMS is. Wow. That was sad.

franznietzsche said:
Is that all you ever think about, sex?

Hey, I get paid to think about sex all the time! You're just jealous because you hadn't fully considered the benefits of a bio major before embarking on something else. :biggrin:

It took me waaaay too long to remember what GTMS is. Wow. That was sad.

:rofl: Actually, what was sad is that bizarre incomplete sentence in the note I wrote for you. I think I edited the end of the sentence and forgot the beginning of it. :rolleyes: Well, I figured it was better to just use the acronym in the excuse note. If we wrote out the full name of it, you might not get as much sympathy about needing to miss exams. :wink:

Moonbear said:
(yay, a conference in Austin, TX in the middle of summer :rolleyes:).

I might go to one in Abuquerque, around that same time ! :eek: These planners ought to learn some sense from the birds, wot ?

Moonbear said:
:rofl: Actually, what was sad is that bizarre incomplete sentence in the note I wrote for you. I think I edited the end of the sentence and forgot the beginning of it. :rolleyes: Well, I figured it was better to just use the acronym in the excuse note. If we wrote out the full name of it, you might not get as much sympathy about needing to miss exams. :wink:

Yeah the professors don't exactly sympathize with us students who have the problem of only needing to cross a flight of stairs to get some.

Gokul43201 said:
I might go to one in Abuquerque, around that same time ! :eek: These planners ought to learn some sense from the birds, wot ?
Got a link for that event, Gokul?

Gokul43201 said:

I guess the hotels are cheap that time of year. They held the meeting a few years ago in Scottsdale, AZ, also at the end of June. I chose not to attend that year. Apparently people didn't do much other than attend the meeting and return to the hotel to stand in the pool drinking because it was too hot to even sit around the pool deck (I'm not sure alcohol and extreme heat mix that well for me). The other conference I'll attend this summer is in Quebec City. Though, we've been warned to book hotels soon because it's the most popular tourist season. I'm not even sure I'll be submitting an abstract yet! So, sounds like a great location, but like the crowds will be unbearable (I don't like going anywhere at the peak tourist season).

Let's go to Albuquerque, Moonbear!111 Surely you can take a one day break from sex..er.. I mean your conference.. to go to a star party!

Math Is Hard said:
Let's go to Albuquerque, Moonbear!111 Surely you can take a one day break from sex..er.. I mean your conference.. to go to a star party!

A whole day without sex... i dunno...that sounds difficult. I mean after all, every PhD is addicted to their field of study...

Gokul43201 said:
Try one in Las Vegas in August. :rolleyes: :yuck:

Moonbear said:
Maybe we can write it and just hand it off to adrenaline to sign.

Dear Professors,
Love it! :tongue: :smile:

franznietzsche said:
Yeah the professors don't exactly sympathize with us students who have the problem of only needing to cross a flight of stairs to get some.
Don't look for any here either. :grumpy: The phrase "Get thee to a nunery" comes to mind, but you'd probably get less action at the star party.

tribdog said:
you going to be there?
No, unfortunately I have to attend a conference in San Diego that week, otherwise I would try to make to GCSP.

Math Is Hard said:

The conference is two weeks later. During the star party, I'll be in that frantic state of preparing my poster/talk that precedes a conference, usually when mid-way through preparing it, I realize there's a bit of data I don't have that I really need to complete the thing. :biggrin:

But, aren't you from Austin? Any plans to visit home this summer?

Tsu said:
Try one in Las Vegas in August. :rolleyes: :yuck:
Sister Tsu! You look so saintly! :smile: o:)

Thank you, dear. Mother Teresa left me her habit when she died. What a wonderful woman she was... :biggrin:

Tsu said:
Thank you, dear. Mother Teresa left me her habit when she died. What a wonderful woman she was... :biggrin:

Oh, so unlike the rest of us with our bad habits, you actually found one good habit! :rofl: It goes very well with your complexion. :biggrin:

Thank you, too, dear. Unfortunately I always have a hard time wearing white. I just dropped a big blob of taco contents onto the front of me. :cry: Now I have to clean one of my dirty habits again. :cry: Oh well... I'll go change into one of my black ones like you guys have. :biggrin:

1. What is the Grand Canyon Star Party 2005?

The Grand Canyon Star Party 2005 is an annual event hosted by the National Park Service and amateur astronomy organizations. It is a week-long celebration of stargazing and astronomy held at the Grand Canyon National Park in Arizona.

2. When is the Grand Canyon Star Party 2005?

The Grand Canyon Star Party 2005 took place from June 25th to July 2nd, 2005.

3. Who can participate in the Grand Canyon Star Party 2005?

Anyone is welcome to attend the Grand Canyon Star Party 2005. It is a free event open to the public.

4. What activities are available at the Grand Canyon Star Party 2005?

The Grand Canyon Star Party 2005 offers a variety of activities for all ages. There are telescope viewing sessions, astronomy presentations, workshops, and hands-on activities. There are also guided hikes and ranger-led programs available.

5. Can I bring my own telescope to the Grand Canyon Star Party 2005?

Yes, you are welcome to bring your own telescope to the Grand Canyon Star Party 2005. However, there will also be many telescopes available for public use provided by the National Park Service and participating astronomy organizations.