1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Grand Partition Function Question

1. Jan 3, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    a) Suppose particles can be adsorbed onto a surface such that each adsorption site can be occupied by up to 6 atoms each in single-particle quantum state [itex]\psi_i[/itex] with an adsorption energy [itex]\epsilon_i[/itex]. Write down the grand partition function for one site.

b) If [itex]\frac{\epsilon_1 - \mu}{k_{B}T} = 0.7 [/itex] show that your expression for the grand partition function is very close to that of a Bose system where any number of particles may occupy the site.

c) Find the probability that there are 6 particles on the site.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

My attempt so far at part a) (I'm not even sure if this is right, lol):

[tex] Z = \sum_{i=1}^{6} e^{- \frac{\epsilon_i - \mu}{k_B T}} [/tex]

I don't really know how to get started on b. I did think that it might follow the reasoning that as u increase the number of particles which can be absorbed at a given site, the exponential part of Z becomes smaller and smaller, and so it approaches the geometric series that u get when you apply a similar analysis to a system of bose particles... Is that idea anywhere near right?

For part c) I thought that:
    [tex] P_k = \frac{e^{\frac{\epsilion_{6} - \mu}{k_B T} }}{1 - e^{- \frac{\epsilon_1 - \mu}{k_B T}}} [/tex]

Since we know from the previous part that the grand partition function can be approximated by the partition function of a bose system. Is any of this right?
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?