1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Grand partition function

1. Jan 26, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Consider a two dimensional surface on a three dimensional crystal. This surface has M positions that can adsorb particles, each of which can bind one particle only and an adsorption does not affect the adsorption on nearby sites. An adsorbed particle has energy ε and an empty site has energy 0.

(Question A and B come here, but I could answer those.)

The surface is now considered to be in diffusive and thermal equilibrium with a gas of temperature T and chemical potential μ, so the energy E and the number of adsorbed particles can now vary.

c) Calculate the grand canonical partitition function [itex]\mathcal{Z_1} (T, \mu)[/itex] of one adsorption position and then the grand canonical partition function for the entire surface [itex]\mathcal{Z_M} (T, \mu)[/itex].

d) Calculate the chance [itex]P(T,\mu)[/itex] that one adsorption position is taken.

2. Relevant equations

[itex]\mathcal{Z} = \sum e^{\beta(\mu N_i - E_i)}[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution

So for [itex]\mathcal{Z_1} (T, \mu)[/itex], [itex]N = 1[/itex] and [itex]E_i = 0[/itex] or [itex]E_i = \epsilon[/itex] and so

[tex]\mathcal{Z_1} = \sum e^{\beta(\mu - E_i)} = e^{\beta(\mu - \epsilon)} + e^{\beta(\mu - 0)} = e^{\beta \mu}(e^{-\beta \epsilon} + 1)[/tex]

This is my solution. However, I read that you have to take [itex]N = 0[/itex] for [itex]E_i = 0[/itex] and [itex]N = 1[/itex] for [itex]E_i = \epsilon[/itex], resulting in [itex]\mathcal{Z_1} = e^0 + e^{\beta(\mu - \epsilon)}[/itex], so I'm confused. What is correct here?

As for [itex]\mathcal{Z_M}[/itex], I'm not sure how to go about that. Can you do something like this?

[itex]\mathcal{Z_M} = \sum_{i=0}^{M} e^{\beta N_i} \sum_{i=0}^{\epsilon} e^{- \beta E_i}[/itex]

d) This is simply [itex]P = \frac{e^{\beta(\mu - \epsilon)}}{\mathcal{Z_1}}[/itex]?

Last edited: Jan 26, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 27, 2013 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Think about what the summation index is here.

The summation is over all allowed values of ##N##, namely ##N = 0## for no particle absorbed at the site and ##N = 1## for one particle absorbed at the site. You didn't quite handle the ##N_i=0## case correctly in the expression [itex]\mathcal{Z} = \sum e^{\beta(\mu N_i - E_i)}[/itex]. You should get the result that you stated from your reading.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook