1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Grandfather clock

1. Feb 10, 2005 #1

phy

A grandfather clock contains a pendulum of lenghth 0.99336 m with a weight of 1.4kg. The driving mechanism comprises anohter mass of 2kg which goes down by 0.8m in 7 days in order to keep the amplitude of oscillation of the pendulum to give theta=0.08(<<1). What is the natural period of the pendulum? What is the value of Q for this system? Take the gravitational acceleration equal to 9.80665m/s^2?

For the period part of the question, I simply assumed that this was a simple pendulum and used the equation T=2pi*sqrt(l/g) where l is the length of the pendulum (ie 0.99336). Can someone please check if this is right :shy:

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 10, 2005 #2

xanthym

Science Advisor

PROBLEM HINTS

Q: What is the pendulum's natural period T?
    Yes, period T is given (for the simple small oscillation pendulum) by:

[tex] T = 2\pi\sqrt {(L/g)} [/tex]

where L is pendulum length and g is gravitational acceleration. Would it surprise you to learn that almost every Grandfather Clock has period T=(2 sec)??

Q: What is Q factor for this pendulum??
    The Q factor is a measure of pendulum efficiency and reflects the pendulum's energy loss per period as a fraction of its total energy (which will be a mix of potential and kinetic energies during the pendulum's oscillation). Q is defined by:

[tex] Q = \frac {(Total Energy)} {(Energy Lost Per Period)} [/tex] <--- Make sure this Q def is the same used by your text

where (Total Energy) is given by the following for pendulum mass "m" and displacement angle (theta):

[tex] (Total Energy) = mgL(1 - cos(\theta)) [/tex] <--- Study the derivation in your text

The (Energy Lost Per Period) can be inferred from the work required to keep it oscillating provided by the falling driving weight "M":

[tex] (Energy Lost Per Period) = (Work Rate)*(Period \ T) [/tex]

[tex] (Work Rate) = Mg(Fall Velocity Of Driving Weight) [/tex]

Some values provided by the problem statement are:
    (Fall Velocity of Driving Weight) = (0.8 meters)/(7 days) = 1.323x10^(-6) m/sec
    M = 2 kg
    [tex] \theta = 0.08 \ radians [/tex]
    L = 0.993 meters
    m = 1.4 kg
    g = 9.8 m/sec^2
    T = Should be close to 2 sec
    Q = Should be near 840

~

Last edited: Feb 10, 2005
  4. Feb 10, 2005 #3

phy

^^^Ooooo I see it now. The thing is that my textbook actually had an equation for Q but I really didn't understand the equation itself or how to use it because there were so many missing variables. But yah, I think I like your approach to finding it. It's a lot more logical than my text. Thanks a lot =)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?