Grandson's Open-Heart Surgery: Updates from Edmonton

• Thread starter Danger
  • Start date
In summary, the grandson had open heart surgery and it went well. The parents are relieved and the grandson is expected to heal quickly.
Danger
Gold Member
Hi, all;
Sent W off to Edmonton this morning. The 1-year-old grandson's open-heart surgery was moved to this morning, so she'll be waiting for him when he gets out. That should be about 20 minutes from the time of this posting (noon our time). I'll stroll around PF for a while, and repost here with news when she calls me.

Physics news on Phys.org
We'll all hope for the best. Let us know.

Positive thoughts to Edmonton and grandson! :smile:

Thanks, friends. She just called. All went well. He's going to spend 24 hours in ICU for observation, but they don't expect any problems. :smile:

Wonderful news. I hope there will be no surprises for the next 24 hours.

Zz.

I know everyone must be relieved, that's great news!

Woop!

:smile:

Danger said:
Thanks, friends. She just called. All went well. He's going to spend 24 hours in ICU for observation, but they don't expect any problems. :smile:
Excellent! Far out! :cool: Hoping for a speedy recovery.

Why did he need open heart surgrey?

I was going to explain this in PM's to my closer friends here, but I guess that there's enough curiosity to warrant doing it now.
He was born with his aorta and pulmonary artery attached to each other's chambers of his heart. This was corrected immediately after birth, but there was some kind of complication that resulted in his valves not functioning properly. An angioplasty was done a few months ago to force them open, but one refused to co-operate. Hence surgery to get it working properly. :frown:
He's a tough little bugger, so we expect him to heal well. Thanks for all of the concern. :smile:

Danger said:
Yay! Glad all went well. I'll keep my fingers crossed that it stays that way, and I'm sending good wishes for a speedy recovery to the little guy! I hope all the grown-ups are doing okay through the whole ordeal too. That's got to be really rough for the new parents to be watching their tiny son going through this, knowing there's little they can do to help other than watch and trust in the doctors, and try to comfort him while he recovers.

Good thing about surgery as a youngin', the body heals fast. Not so when one is my age - but I am not planning on having surgery. I am the only one in my family parents and siblings) who hasn't - except for external stiches on various wounds. :biggrin:

Happy to hear it went well.

Excellent news!

1. What is the purpose of the open-heart surgery?

The open-heart surgery is being performed to correct a congenital heart defect in my grandson. This defect is affecting the proper functioning of his heart and could potentially lead to serious health complications if left untreated.

2. How long is the recovery period for open-heart surgery?

The recovery period for open-heart surgery can vary depending on the individual's age, overall health, and the complexity of the surgery. In general, it can take anywhere from 4-6 weeks for a child to recover from open-heart surgery.

3. What are the risks associated with open-heart surgery?

As with any surgery, there are risks involved with open-heart surgery. Some potential risks include bleeding, infection, blood clots, and complications with anesthesia. However, these risks are minimized by the expertise of the medical team and the advanced technology used in the surgery.

4. Will my grandson have to take any medications after the surgery?

Yes, your grandson will most likely be prescribed medications to help with pain management, prevent infection, and regulate his heart function. These medications may need to be taken for a few weeks or months after the surgery, depending on his recovery progress.

5. How often will my grandson need to go for follow-up appointments after the surgery?

Your grandson will need to attend regular follow-up appointments with his cardiologist to monitor his recovery and ensure that his heart is functioning properly. The frequency of these appointments will depend on his specific case, but they are typically scheduled every few weeks or months in the first year after the surgery.