Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Grandson Update

1. Mar 29, 2006 #1

Danger

Gold Member

Hi, all;
    Sent W off to Edmonton this morning. The 1-year-old grandson's open-heart surgery was moved to this morning, so she'll be waiting for him when he gets out. That should be about 20 minutes from the time of this posting (noon our time). I'll stroll around PF for a while, and repost here with news when she calls me.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 29, 2006 #2

Evo

Staff: Mentor

We'll all hope for the best. Let us know.

4. Mar 29, 2006 #3

Astronuc

Positive thoughts to Edmonton and grandson! :smile:

5. Mar 29, 2006 #4

Danger

Gold Member

Thanks, friends. She just called. All went well. He's going to spend 24 hours in ICU for observation, but they don't expect any problems. :smile:

6. Mar 29, 2006 #5

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Wonderful news. I hope there will be no surprises for the next 24 hours.

Zz.

7. Mar 29, 2006 #6

Evo

I know everyone must be relieved, that's great news!

8. Mar 29, 2006 #7

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Woop!

:smile:

9. Mar 29, 2006 #8

Astronuc

Excellent! Far out! :cool: Hoping for a speedy recovery.

10. Mar 29, 2006 #9
    Why did he need open heart surgrey?

11. Mar 29, 2006 #10

Danger

Gold Member

I was going to explain this in PM's to my closer friends here, but I guess that there's enough curiosity to warrant doing it now.
    He was born with his aorta and pulmonary artery attached to each other's chambers of his heart. This was corrected immediately after birth, but there was some kind of complication that resulted in his valves not functioning properly. An angioplasty was done a few months ago to force them open, but one refused to co-operate. Hence surgery to get it working properly. :frown:
    He's a tough little bugger, so we expect him to heal well. Thanks for all of the concern. :smile:

12. Mar 29, 2006 #11

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yay! Glad all went well. I'll keep my fingers crossed that it stays that way, and I'm sending good wishes for a speedy recovery to the little guy! I hope all the grown-ups are doing okay through the whole ordeal too. That's got to be really rough for the new parents to be watching their tiny son going through this, knowing there's little they can do to help other than watch and trust in the doctors, and try to comfort him while he recovers.

13. Mar 29, 2006 #12

Astronuc

Good thing about surgery as a youngin', the body heals fast. Not so when one is my age - but I am not planning on having surgery. I am the only one in my family parents and siblings) who hasn't - except for external stiches on various wounds. :biggrin:

14. Mar 29, 2006 #13
    Happy to hear it went well.

15. Mar 30, 2006 #14

PerennialII

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Excellent news!!!!!!!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?