Exploring Granular Flow and Flight Control: Advice Wanted!

In summary, a newly admitted graduate student is interested in both aerodynamics and granular flow but is unsure of which field to focus on for their future job. They are seeking advice on how to consolidate these two areas and whether pursuing research in granular flow would be valuable for industry or better suited for academia.
subterrain
Hi everyone!

I'm a newly admitted student for graduate studies. I'd been interested in Aerodynamics, especially in flight control, since I met with a professor who studies granular flow. Now I think granular flow is pretty cool and it's in its infancy nowadays. There are lots to discover and that's so fascinating!

However, at the same time, I'm still very interested in flight and I want my job to be in the area of flight in the future.

So, I thought that'd be the best to consolidate the two of these studies and did a little research. But I haven't found any studies of those together.

Do you people have any ideas or advices about what I should do? Anyone there studies granular flow and can help me with this?

Thanks in advance..

Physics news on Phys.org
If you plan on working in industry and not academia, then it is probably best to choose the option which employers will see more value in. I'm not too knowledgeable on granular flow, but would research in this area be valuable to your employer or is this something best left for academia? These are things you will have to ask yourself. If you are not aiming for academia, then why advance that professor's research area?

What is granular flow and flight control?

Granular flow refers to the movement and behavior of individual solid particles, such as sand or grains, when they are poured or transported in bulk. Flight control is the process of regulating and maintaining the movement and stability of an aircraft during flight.

Why is it important to study granular flow and flight control?

Understanding the principles of granular flow and flight control is crucial for various industries, such as agriculture, pharmaceuticals, and aerospace. It can help improve efficiency, safety, and performance in processes involving granular materials and flying objects.

What are some current challenges in the field of granular flow and flight control?

Some challenges include accurately predicting and controlling the behavior of granular materials, developing efficient flight control systems for different types of aircraft, and dealing with unpredictable external factors such as wind and turbulence.

What advice do you have for aspiring researchers in this field?

My advice would be to have a strong foundation in mathematics, physics, and computer science. It is also important to stay updated on the latest research and technologies in the field and to collaborate with experts from different disciplines to tackle complex problems.

What are some potential applications of research in granular flow and flight control?

Potential applications include optimizing industrial processes involving granular materials, improving the design and performance of aircraft and drones, and developing new technologies for space exploration and asteroid mining.