Grapefruit sized hail

• Thread starter Evo
  • Start date
BobG
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Wouldn't a lightning conductor be the cheapest way to protect a home?
Protection from the house, itself, being struck by lightning. That still leaves a problem with a surge coming through the electrical wiring or your cable TV wiring because of a lightning strike near your home.

I lost two TVs, a VCR, my cable modem, and needed major repairs to my computer last summer because of a surge that came through the television cable. If the house is wired properly, the surges into your house should be very rare, but they still happen occasionally even with proper wiring.

I do see multiple lingting conductors but they all look the same. Perhaps manufacturers didn't try to change the styles of each pole they produce :8D

Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Lightning rods are only partially effective. Engineers and scientists have tried all sort of wild schemes to attrack lightning to the rod [ex. one releases ions to create a ion cloud above the rod], but in the end there is only a probability that the rod will be hit instead of the building it is designed to protect. The problem is that the potential is so high that virually any path to ground looks equally attractive. Also, lightning might follow mutiple paths. So even if the rod is hit, other damage can still occur.

Consider that even the space shuttle's lightning protection [on the pad] is not absolute.

Last edited: