1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Graph and inverse

1. Dec 15, 2004 #1
    I have a graph that looks like a C its a parabola and it has a vertex of -2,0 My question says to evaluate f(2) f(-2) f^-1(0) and f^-1(2) how do I do this? I sketched the inverse already now what? Please help me
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 15, 2004 #2
    Find the values of [itex]y[/itex] when [itex]x[/itex] equals each of those values for each graph. For example, find the [itex]y[/itex] coordinate for the point on [itex]f(x)[/itex] where [itex]x=2[/itex] to evaluate [itex]f(2)[/itex]. It may be useful to find the equations of the functions first. Try using the data and the graph to find the equations.
  4. Dec 16, 2004 #3
    Another thing: in an inverse the x and y values are switched. This fact makes drawing even the most complcated graph's inverses a breeze. :approve:
  5. Dec 16, 2004 #4

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Darned if I know! You will need to know more about the function than just that its graph "looks like a C its a parabola and it has a vertex of -2,0". From that, you can only say that f-1(0)= -2 since the inverse function swaps x and y values.
    f(2) and f-1 depend upon other information about the graph.
  6. Dec 17, 2004 #5

LOL thanks guys I got it, I found the coordinates of f(x) and then switched them to get the inverse. Then I evaluated I hope this is right. :smile:
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?