Graphing the Curl of -Cx\vec{z} on the xz plane

In summary, the conversation is about finding the curl of a given vector function and graphing it on the xz plane. The resulting curl is a constant vector in the y direction. The individual steps and components of the calculation are also discussed.
scorpius1782
I posted the divergence of this earlier but thought I should post the curl separately.

Homework Statement

Find the curl of ##E=-Cx\hat{z}##

Homework Equations

∇xE=##[\frac{∂E_z}{∂y}-\frac{∂E_y}{∂z}]\hat{x}+[\frac{∂E_x}{∂z}-\frac{∂E_z}{∂x}]\hat{y}+[\frac{∂E_y}{∂x}-\frac{∂E_x}{∂y}]\hat{z}##

The Attempt at a Solution

Since there's only a z component
∇xE=##-\frac{∂E_z}{∂x}=C\hat{y}##

I'm suppose to graph this onto the xz plane. But, isn't all the same throughout the plane? I feel like maybe I missed a component from the derivatives but I think all the rest are 0, right?

Thanks for any guidance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, that is correct. For ever point the curl of [itex]-Cx\vec{z}[/itex] is the constant [itex]C\vec{y}[/itex].

1. What is the "Graph curl onto the xz plane"?

The "Graph curl onto the xz plane" refers to the visualization of the curl of a vector field on the xz plane. The curl is a mathematical operation that measures the rotational tendency of a vector field at a given point.

2. Why is it important to graph the curl onto the xz plane?

Graphing the curl onto the xz plane allows us to visually analyze the rotational behavior of a vector field in a specific plane. This can provide insights into the characteristics and behavior of the vector field, which can be useful in various fields such as physics, engineering, and fluid dynamics.

3. How is the curl calculated and graphed onto the xz plane?

The curl is calculated using partial derivatives and the cross product. Once the curl is calculated at each point on the xz plane, it is then graphed by assigning a color or vector to each point based on the magnitude and direction of the curl at that point.

4. What information can be obtained from the graph of curl onto the xz plane?

The graph of curl onto the xz plane can provide information about the strength, direction, and location of vortices, circulation, and other rotational features in the vector field. It can also give insights into the overall behavior and patterns of the vector field in the xz plane.

5. How can the graph of curl onto the xz plane be used in real-world applications?

The graph of curl onto the xz plane can be used in various applications such as analyzing the flow of fluids, understanding the behavior of electromagnetic fields, and predicting the movement of objects in space. It can also be used to optimize designs and improve the efficiency of systems that rely on vector fields.