1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Graph drawing

1. Feb 28, 2013 #1
    how can I draw y = arcsec(e^x) where x > 0 and 0 < y < pi/2

I've found the derivative which I got to be [itex] \frac{1}{\sqrt{e^{2x} -1 }} [/itex] however, the graph doesn't seem to have any minimum or maximum points.

I don't really know how to test this about, as I don't know what arcsec(e^x) is defined as, so I'm not sure how I can sketch it without being able to test some values of x..
    thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 28, 2013 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

hi phospho! :smile:
    so you know it has no bumps!

ok, then all you need is to plot a few specimen values, and join them smoothly :wink:

(it might help calculations is you rewrite it as secy = ex, or x = … ?)

4. Feb 28, 2013 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I'm a bit confused as to what you are saying. arcsec is, of course, the inverse function to secant which is itself the reciprocal of cosine. If y= arcsec(x) then x= sec(y)= 1/cos(y). So cos(y)= 1/x and y= arccos(1/x). arcsec(e^x), then, is arccos(e^{-x}) and any calculator should have those functions.
    For example, if x= 0, arcsec(e^x) is arccos(e^0)= arccos(1)= 0. If x= 1, arcsec(e^x)= arccos(e^{-1})= 0.9331, etc.

5. Feb 28, 2013 #4

pasmith

Homework Helper

What you have there is [itex]\frac1{\cos(y)} = e^x[/itex], which can be re-arranged to give [itex]\cos(y) = e^{-x}[/itex] so that [itex]x = -\ln(\cos(y))[/itex] which might be easier to sketch.

6. Feb 28, 2013 #5
    got it, thank you

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted