Graph drawing—Finding the points on a curve that are nearest to the origin

In summary, the problem involves finding the minimum distance to the origin on a tilted ellipse. This can be approached by using the Lagrange multiplier method, rotating to a new coordinate system, or using the AM-GM inequality. The solution can also be found by writing the equation of the curve in polar coordinates and applying domain restrictions to find the minimum distance.
$$y'=\pm\frac{1}{2}(s^2-x^2)^{-1/2}\cdot(-2x)=\pm\frac{x}{\sqrt{s^2-x^2}}$$
ehild said:
You are wrong again.
##\sqrt {y^2}= |y|## instead of y.
I insert ##~x^2=s^2-y^2~## and get ##~y'=\pm\frac{x}{\vert y \vert}##
Doesn't it equal ##~\pm\frac{x}{y}~##?

Physics news on Phys.org
Karol said:

No. ##\frac x y \ne \frac x {|y|}##
(I'm ignoring the ##\pm## for the moment, but it doesn't change things.)

Karol said:
It is wrong, you miss the minus in front of x.
Karol said:
No. It should be ##y'=\mp\frac{x}{\vert y \vert}##
Better not to use ± if you do not know what it means. A quantity can not be equal to an other quantity and its negative at the same time, unless it is zero. Think: what is y' if y>0? What is y' it y<0?

ehild said:
It is wrong, you miss the minus in front of x.

No. It should be ##y'=\mp\frac{x}{\vert y \vert}##
Better not to use ± if you do not know what it means. A quantity can not be equal to an other quantity and its negative at the same time, unless it is zero. Think: what is y' if y>0? What is y' it y<0?
In ##~y'=\frac{x}{\vert y \vert}~## y''s sign depends on x in both cases, when y>0 and y<0.
I wrote ± because of the of the square root of ##~x^2+y^2=s^2\rightarrow y=\pm\sqrt{s^2-x^2}~##, and i mean that either ##~\sqrt{s^2-x^2}~## or ##~-\sqrt{s^2-x^2}~## satisfies y2.
For a circle, for the same x, y' is + and - but for opposite y's. but we didn't talk about a circle but about the distance function.
Indeed y' can't be +y' and -y' at the same time, so i don't know what to say. it came from the root.

Hopefully we are just into being careful about meanings of terms now.
##\pm## and ## \mp ## come in pairs, meaning that the two things can both be ±, but not independently; ##\pm## means something can be either + or - , but if it is then followed by ## \mp ## something then that other thing can also be ± , but the second thing has to be - when the first is + and vice versa. I would have thought it is fairly obvious when you come across it, which is not often. There is an example in #45. In that case as they apply to a positive number (½) It means that the two points in question are in the top left and bottom right quadrants. If instead it was a number you didn’t know the sign ot it would mean the two points are just in opposite quadrants.

I don’t know that then this convention is rigidly extended. That is, if you see two ± ‘s near each other it won’t always be intended that if the first is + then so necessarily is the second; it might be explained or you might be expected to work it out for yourself,

Karol said:
For a circle, for the same x, y' is + and - but for opposite y's. but we didn't talk about a circle but about the distance function.
Indeed y' can't be +y' and -y' at the same time, so i don't know what to say. it came from the root.
You do not really know how to use ± correctly.
In Post #99 you wrote ## y=\pm\sqrt{s^2-x^2}##, and then you took the derivative of y. But ## y=\pm\sqrt{s^2-x^2}## is not a function. It is two functions: ##y_1(x)=\sqrt{s^2-x^2}## and ##y_2(x)= - \sqrt{s^2-x^2}## .
The derivative of the first one is $$y'_1(x)=\frac{-x}{\sqrt{s^2-x^2}}= \frac{-x}{y_1}$$.
The derivative of the second one is $$y'_2(x)= - \frac{-x}{\sqrt{s^2-x^2}}=\frac{-x}{-\sqrt{s^2-x^2}}= \frac{-x}{y_2}$$.
You see y'=-x/y either you take the + sign or - sign in front of the square root in ## y=\pm\sqrt{s^2-x^2}##.

Last edited:
I try to do the same with the help of ##~\sqrt{y^2}=|y|~##:
$$x^2+y^2=s^2\rightarrow y=|\sqrt{s^2-x^2}|=|(s^2-x^2)^{1/2}|$$
$$y'=\frac{1}{2}|\sqrt{s^2-x^2}^{-1/2}\cdot (-2x)|=\vert \frac{x}{\sqrt{s^2-x^2}} \vert=\vert \frac{x}{y} \vert$$
You see, no - sign before the x/y

Karol said:
I try to do the same with the help of ##~\sqrt{y^2}=|y|~##:
$$x^2+y^2=s^2\rightarrow y=|\sqrt{s^2-x^2}|=|(s^2-x^2)^{1/2}|$$
No, this isn't right.
##x^2 + y^2 = s^2 \Rightarrow y = \pm \sqrt{s^2-x^2}##
This means that there are two values of y -- one positive and one negative.
With what you wrote, you get only one value of y. Also, ##|\sqrt{s^2 - x^2}|## is exactly the same thing as ##\sqrt{s^2 - x^2}##. The square root function returns a value that is nonnegative, so taking the absolute value of the radical does precisely nothing.
Karol said:
$$y'=\frac{1}{2}|\sqrt{s^2-x^2}^{-1/2}\cdot (-2x)|=\vert \frac{x}{\sqrt{s^2-x^2}} \vert=\vert \frac{x}{y} \vert$$

Karol said:
Wrong again.
The derivative of the absolute value of a function is not the same as the absolute value of the derivative.
What is the derivative of f(x)=|x|, for example?

If i can't use it, why did you write:
ehild said:
You are wrong again.
##\sqrt {y^2}= |y|## instead of y.
$$y=|x|=\left\{ \begin{array}{ll}y=x & x>0 \\ y=-x & x<0 \end{array}\right.$$
$$y'=\left\{ \begin{array}{ll}y'=1 & x>0 \\ y'=-1 & x<0\end{array}\right.$$
But if ##~y = \pm \sqrt{s^2-x^2}~## and not ##~| \sqrt{s^2-x^2}|~## then i can't use absolute value at all

Karol said:
If i can't use it, why did you write:

$$y=|x|=\left\{ \begin{array}{ll}y=x & x>0 \\ y=-x & x<0 \end{array}\right.$$
$$y'=\left\{ \begin{array}{ll}y'=1 & x>0 \\ y'=-1 & x<0\end{array}\right.$$
But if ##~y = \pm \sqrt{s^2-x^2}~## and not ##~| \sqrt{s^2-x^2}|~## then i can't use absolute value at all
You see you can not say that ##y'= |\frac{d\sqrt{s^2-x^2}}{dx}|##
##~y = \pm \sqrt{s^2-x^2}~## means that s2=x2+y2 is satisfied with both a positive and a negative y for a given x value. Read my Post #111.
##~| \sqrt{s^2-x^2}|~## is the same as ##\sqrt{s^2-x^2}##, read Mark's Post #113.

And also:
$$y^2=s^2-x^2~\rightarrow~\sqrt{y^2}=\sqrt{s^2-x^2}~\rightarrow~|y|=\sqrt{s^2-x^2}$$
$$\rightarrow~\left\{ \begin{array}{ll}y_1=\sqrt{s^2-x^2} \\ y_2=-\sqrt{s^2-x^2}\end{array}\right.$$

Karol said:
And also:
$$y^2=s^2-x^2~\rightarrow~\sqrt{y^2}=\sqrt{s^2-x^2}~\rightarrow~|y|=\sqrt{s^2-x^2}$$
$$\rightarrow~\left\{ \begin{array}{ll}y_1=\sqrt{s^2-x^2} \\ y_2=-\sqrt{s^2-x^2}\end{array}\right.$$
Yes, this is correct.

epenguin said:
The last posts here are unnecessarily complicated. The calculation of ##\frac{d}{dx} (5 x^2 + 5y^2 - 6 xy)## is carried through in full without exploiting the fact that ##\frac{d}{dx} (x^2+y^2) = 0## (at the point of interest) so you only need to find the condition for ##\frac{d}{dx}(xy)=0 ## (which is essentially what I have done in #37). Since #15 I have been trying to prod you to recognise and exploit the fact that the distance function ##(x^2+y^2)## Is also part of the equation of the curve.
You used twice in #37 ##~\frac{d}{dx} (x^2+y^2) = 0~##, once in obtaining ##~\frac{d}{dx}(xy)=0~## and then at the end when you equaled the two derivatives.
If you used the first time, why didn't i get ##~\dfrac {dy}{dx}=-\dfrac {x}{y}~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~(3)~##? indeed i used it at the point of interest

Karol said:
If you used the first time, why didn't i get ##~\dfrac {dy}{dx}=-\dfrac {x}{y}~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~(3)~##? indeed i used it at the point of interest
Sorry your meaning is not clear to me, the ‘you’ and ‘I’ not making sense.

This equation is the condition satisfied by a point (on a continuous curve corresponding to some relation between x and y) that is at a minimum or maximum distance from (0, 0) Compared to other points on the given curve I should say
(a pedant would probably say compared with neighbouring points).

I was going to say as I have already said more than once that you got this equation yourself in #1 ! But only now I realize there is something wrong in t
hat post, and that is the → !
The → leads to the equation that only makes its first appearance at the end of #47 !
You probably got my eq 3 in the same way I did but got your papers mixed up?
It may be (often is) more efficient rather than trying to see where you went wrong, if hopefully you have now got it moderately clear, write out the argument, which is not that long, starting from zero.
If you can also at some point answer the question of #104 by any method(s) that would be splendid!

I know how to obtain ##~\dfrac {dy}{dx}=-\dfrac {x}{y}~##, but i ask something else.
You used [r2]'=0 twice by taking into consideration that the distance is part of the original equation. it indeed simplified.
But isn't it too much to use the same consideration, same argument twice in the same process? it is a general question, not related only to this question.
The second time you used [r2]'=0 is at the end of #37 at:
epenguin said:
Comparing (6) with (3) therefore, at these points

WWGD said:
Just curious. How about finding the solution like this:
Find a circle C0 centered at the origin with radius r which intersects the ellipse at precisely one point? The value of r is then the shortest distance?

EDIT: ##x^2+y^2=r^2 . 5x^2+5Y^2 -6XY=4 =5r^2-6x(\sqrt{r^2-x^2})=4##. Square both sides and find values of ##r## so that there is just one solution. ##5r^2-4 =6x(\sqrt{ r^2-x^2} \rightarrow 25r^4-10r^2+16=36x^2(r^2-x^2) \rightarrow -36x^4 +36x^2r^2 -25r^4 +10r^2 -16 =0 ## A bi-quadratic Set ##r^2=s## then we get :

##-36x^4 +36x^2s-25s^2 -10s-16=0. -25s^2-(10 -36x^2)s+ 36x^4-16=0 . s=10-36x^2 \pm \sqrt{}## . .
$$\frac{10-36x^2\pm\sqrt{(10-36x^2)^2+100(36x^4-16)}}{-50}=\frac{10-36x^2\pm 2\sqrt{3}\sqrt{408x^4-60x^2-125}}{-50}$$

Karol said:
$$\frac{10-36x^2\pm\sqrt{(10-36x^2)^2+100(36x^4-16)}}{-50}=\frac{10-36x^2\pm 2\sqrt{3}\sqrt{408x^4-60x^2-125}}{-50}$$
Sure, thanks, and sorrry for leaving without completing. Doesn't this work?

It doesn't work since the expression under the root doesn't give precise value.
$$s=\frac{10-36x^2\pm 2\sqrt{3}\sqrt{408x^4-60x^2-125}}{-50}$$
S is positive and because the denominator is negative (-50) the nominator must be positive.
I don't know to continue from here. under the root i denote ##~x^2=a##:
$$408a^2-60a-125=0~\rightarrow~a=\frac{60\pm\sqrt{207,600}}{816}$$
I can't continue

WWGD said:
Just curious. How about finding the solution like this:
Find a circle C0 centered at the origin with radius r which intersects the ellipse at precisely one point? The value of r is then the shortest distance?

EDIT: ##x^2+y^2=r^2 . 5x^2+5Y^2 -6XY=4 =5r^2-6x(\sqrt{r^2-x^2})=4##. Square both sides and find values of ##r## so that there is just one solution. ##5r^2-4 =6x(\sqrt{ r^2-x^2} \rightarrow 25r^4-10r^2+16=36x^2(r^2-x^2) \rightarrow -36x^4 +36x^2r^2 -25r^4 +10r^2 -16 =0 ##
The line highlighted by red is wrong. It should be
##5r^2-4 =6x(\sqrt{ r^2-x^2} \rightarrow 25r^4-40r^2+16=36x^2(r^2-x^2) ##
But it is better to keep ##(5r^2-4)^2## un-expanded.

$$\left[ \frac{5r^2-4}{6} \right]^2=x^2(r^2-x^2)$$
Any value that solves is good, +x and -x are always answers.
I can't solve

Why not? Do you want to solve for ##x##? It's a quadratic equation in the variable ##x^2##.

$$x^2+y^2=r^2,~~5x^2+5Y^2 -6xy=4~\rightarrow~5r^2-4 =6x(\sqrt{ r^2-x^2})$$
$$\left[ \frac{5r^2-4}{6} \right]^2=x^2(r^2-x^2)~\rightarrow~\left[ \frac{5r^2-4}{6} \right]^2=r^2a-a^2$$
$$a^2-r^2a+\left[ \frac{5r^2-4}{6} \right]^2=0$$
If the root will be 0 there will be only one solution for a=x2
$$\frac{r^2\pm\sqrt{r^4-4\left[ \frac{5r^2-4}{6} \right]^2}}{2}=\frac{r^2\pm\frac{2\sqrt{2}}{3}\sqrt{-2r^4-5r^2+2}}{2}$$
Under the root:
$$-2r^4-5r^2+2=0~\rightarrow~\frac{5\pm\sqrt{25+16}}{-4}$$
Cannot equal this to 0

Karol said:
$$x^2+y^2=r^2,~~5x^2+5Y^2 -6xy=4~\rightarrow~5r^2-4 =6x(\sqrt{ r^2-x^2})$$
$$\left[ \frac{5r^2-4}{6} \right]^2=x^2(r^2-x^2)~\rightarrow~\left[ \frac{5r^2-4}{6} \right]^2=r^2a-a^2$$
$$a^2-r^2a+\left[ \frac{5r^2-4}{6} \right]^2=0$$
If the root will be 0 there will be only one solution for a=x2
$$\frac{r^2\pm\sqrt{r^4-4\left[ \frac{5r^2-4}{6} \right]^2}}{2}=\frac{r^2\pm\frac{2\sqrt{2}}{3}\sqrt{-2r^4-5r^2+2}}{2}$$
Check the signs.

$$\frac{r^2\pm\sqrt{r^4-4\left[ \frac{5r^2-4}{6} \right]^2}}{2}=\frac{r^2\pm\frac{2\sqrt{2}}{3}\sqrt{-2r^4+5r^2-2}}{2}$$
Under the root, ##~r^2=g~##:
$$-2g^2+5g-2=0~\rightarrow~g_1=2,~g_2=\frac{1}{2}$$
The shortest distance is ##~g_2=r^2=\frac{1}{2}##
Back to the original equation ##~5(x^2+y^2)-6xy=4~\rightarrow~5r^2-4=6xy~~\rightarrow~xy=-\frac{1}{4}##
I insert ##~y=\left[ \frac{3x+2\sqrt{5-4x^2}}{5} \right]~##:
$$xy=-\frac{1}{4}~\rightarrow~x\left[ \frac{3x+2\sqrt{5-4x^2}}{5} \right]=-\frac{1}{4}$$
$$~\rightarrow~-\frac{5}{4}=x(3x\pm 2\sqrt{5-4x^2})$$
If i square both sides, i don't get rid of the root

Karol said:
$$\frac{r^2\pm\sqrt{r^4-4\left[ \frac{5r^2-4}{6} \right]^2}}{2}=\frac{r^2\pm\frac{2\sqrt{2}}{3}\sqrt{-2r^4+5r^2-2}}{2}$$
Under the root, ##~r^2=g~##:
$$-2g^2+5g-2=0~\rightarrow~g_1=2,~g_2=\frac{1}{2}$$
The shortest distance is ##~g_2=r^2=\frac{1}{2}##
Back to the original equation ##~5(x^2+y^2)-6xy=4~\rightarrow~5r^2-4=6xy~~\rightarrow~xy=-\frac{1}{4}##
I insert ##~y=\left[ \frac{3x+2\sqrt{5-4x^2}}{5} \right]~##:
$$xy=-\frac{1}{4}~\rightarrow~x\left[ \frac{3x+2\sqrt{5-4x^2}}{5} \right]=-\frac{1}{4}$$
$$~\rightarrow~-\frac{5}{4}=x(3x\pm 2\sqrt{5-4x^2})$$
If i square both sides, i don't get rid of the root

Don't square both sides until you have the square root isolated by itself.

$$-\frac{5}{4}=x(3x\pm 2\sqrt{5-4x^2})~\rightarrow~-\frac{5}{24x^3}=\pm\sqrt{5-4x^2}$$
After isolating the root and squaring both sides:
$$2304\cdot x^8-2880\cdot x^6+25=0,~~a=x^2~\rightarrow~2304\cdot a^4-2880\cdot a^3+25=0$$
And now what?

Karol said:
$$-\frac{5}{4}=x(3x\pm 2\sqrt{5-4x^2})~\rightarrow~-\frac{5}{24x^3}=\pm\sqrt{5-4x^2}$$
And now what?
This part is not correct.
$$x(3x\pm 2\sqrt{5-4x^2})\neq \pm 6x^3\sqrt{5-4x^2})$$

$$-\frac{5}{4}=x(3x\pm 2\sqrt{5-4x^2})~\rightarrow~-\frac{5+12x^2}{8x}=\pm\sqrt{5-4x^2}$$
After squaring:
$$400x^4-200x^2+25=0~\rightarrow~16x^4-8x^2+1=0~\rightarrow~16a^2-8a+1=0$$
$$~\rightarrow~\left[ a-\frac{1}{4} \right]^2=0~\rightarrow~x^2=\frac{1}{4},~x=\pm\frac{1}{2}$$

Karol said:
$$~x=\pm\frac{1}{2}$$
You are on the right track. Now all you have to do is figure out the corresponding values of y. Be careful with signs.
Once you have done that, try @ehild's suggestion and convert to polar coordinates. That is a much simpler way to solve this problem.

You got there. Actually you got the answer (r) to the question essentially in #130. However, for completeness it is necessary to know the corresponding x and y. You have got x2 and so the two x, and from x2 and r2 you can now get y2. Then you can get y, however you previously saw that not every combination of and x and y that you get is allowable.
If that previous conclusion depended on a calculus argument, and here you want to do an algebraic argument, then you need to complete this.

You have been doing things a long way around in my opinion, but I hope you have learned some things.
For example I hope as soon as you saw
Karol said:
$$-2g^2+5g-2=0$$
in #130, you realized that one solution would be the reciprocal of the other.This happens when coefficients of a polynomial equation equidistant from the ends are equal. Called reciprocal equations their solution can be reduced to solving equations of half the degree plus a quadratic. In your case you only have a quadratic anyway, I don't think there is any saving.

The problem which was previously solved by calculus here you are solving by an algebraic argument. That depended on saying that two roots of an equation have to be equal at the shortest distance. I used the same argument in #45, or at least it could be worded that way. I think it has to be admitted that that was a whole lot faster and easier. Probably on analysis your argument could be shown to be equivalent.

To complete this learning and take on board this other point of view, I again invite you to use the approach of #45 to get the maximum distance. If you do not do this by about Monday I will do it here.

Last edited:
epenguin said:
You have got x2 and so the two x, and from x2 and r2 you can now get y2
Why do i get y2 and not y? the original equation is ##~5r^2-6xy=4~## and from that, by inserting r2 and x i can get directly the y and both values of y will be valid, because you said:
epenguin said:
however you previously saw that not every combination of and x and y that you get is allowable.

Ah yes if you do it that way it comes OK without ambiguity - I was thinking you might go and use r2 and x2 .

How do you do this kind of hyperlink:
Capture.JPG

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    4.3 KB · Views: 611
Karol said:
How do you do this kind of hyperlink:
View attachment 220470
Just type "@" and the user name.