Graph explanation question

In summary, the conversation discusses a particle moving along the X axis under the influence of a conservative force with potential energy. The solution provided shows how the particle moves and changes speed with a given energy E1, greater than potential energy U1, starting from position x=-a and ending at x=b. The graph provided shows the potential energy as a function of the particle's position, with x=-a and x=b marked. The solution also mentions that the mass, m, should be located in the denominator under the radical for the units to match those required for velocity.
transgalactic
a particle is moving along the X axes under the influence of
a conservative force with a potential energy.
by this graph :
http://img376.imageshack.us/img376/5609/82453845uw5.gif [Broken]

1.describe how the particle moves with E1 energy
where E1>U1
which comes from the left x<-a
and describe how the speed of the particle changes .

here is the solution:
http://img216.imageshack.us/img216/944/46482160yg4.gif [Broken]

can you give explanation to how to get this solution
i know that force is the derivative of potential energy

??

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
How specific does the description have to be? E1 is the total energy of the particle, which is a constant. U(x) is the potential energy of the particle at position x. The kinetic energy is the difference between the two: K = E1 - U(x).

So what happens to the particle? Is it bounded? How does its kinetic energy change?

i showed the solution
its in the end
i can't understand how they came to this conclusion?

E = U + K = U + (1/2)mv^2

Solve for the velocity v. The velocity of the particle changes with position because the potential is not constant. So there is a force which acts to speed the particle up and slow it down at certain positions, but you don't need to compute the force to determine what the velocity v is. Make sense yet?

i can't understand this graph
there is only one axes
and some weird letters
i can't understand what's happening there?

i know that U is potential energy and E is the total
one

where is A and B
??

transgalactic said:
i know that U is potential energy and E is the total
one

where is A and B
??

The graph shows the potential energy as a function of the position of the particle.

x=-a is the point where the graph starts to go down and x=b is the point where it becomes flat again.

transgalactic said:
i showed the solution
its in the end
i can't understand how they came to this conclusion?

Also, something is wrong with the solution. The mass, m, should be located in the denominator under the radical. Look at the resultant units with your answer and you will see that they do not match those required for a velocity.

1. What is a graph explanation question?

A graph explanation question is a type of question that is often asked in scientific research and analysis. It involves interpreting and explaining the data presented in a graph or chart, and drawing conclusions based on the information provided.

2. How do you approach a graph explanation question?

To approach a graph explanation question, it is important to first carefully examine the graph and understand the information it is presenting. Then, analyze the data and identify any patterns or trends. Finally, use the data to support your explanation and draw conclusions.

3. What are some key elements to look for in a graph explanation question?

Some key elements to look for in a graph explanation question include the title of the graph, the labels on the x and y axes, and any legends or keys that explain the data being presented. It is also important to pay attention to the scale and units used in the graph.

4. How can you effectively communicate your explanation of a graph?

To effectively communicate your explanation of a graph, it is important to use clear and concise language and to support your explanation with evidence from the data. Use specific numbers and data points from the graph to back up your explanations and make sure to clearly state any conclusions you draw from the data.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when answering a graph explanation question?

Some common mistakes to avoid when answering a graph explanation question include misinterpreting the data, making unsupported claims or assumptions, and not paying attention to the scale or units of the graph. It is also important to avoid making generalizations or stating opinions without backing them up with evidence from the data.