1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Graph f(x,y) = 0 in maple

1. Jul 22, 2009 #1
    graph f(x,y) = 0 (ignore the in maple part plz!)

NOTE: plz ignore the in maple part of this!

hi everyone, is there a quick way i can graph f(x,y) = 0 in maple? I've ran into this problem a couple of times where f cannot be separated very easily. Or are there any tricks to parametrize f in a such a way that I can graph x(t) and y(t)?

just for example, say i have something like (x+y)^2 = y, if i wanted a quick parametrization of x(t) and y(t), how might i go about that? hopefully a method that works well with complicated expressions.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 26, 2009 #2
    Re: graph f(x,y) = 0 (ignore the in maple part plz!)

So are you just asking how to graph f(x,y)=0? This means that in R3, where a point has the coordinates (x,y,z), your function assigns z=0 for every (x,y). This means that z=f(x,y)=0 is just the xy-plane.

4. Jul 26, 2009 #3

uart

Science Advisor

Re: graph f(x,y) = 0 (ignore the in maple part plz!)

No that's not what he is asking about. He's talking about implicit functions of the form f(x,y)=0. In other words, what function y(x) do you need to make some other function f(x,y)=0 for each value of x.

For a simple example take f(x,y)=x^2 + y^2 - 1. Then f(x,y)=0 implicitly describes the unit circle. The OP is looking for general tips in treating this type of function, where sometimes it is not possible to re-arrange it into an explicit function of either variable.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook