How to Graph f(x,y) = 0: A Quick Guide for Maple Users

• Maple
  • Thread starter elarson89
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Graph Maple
In summary, the conversation revolved around finding a quick way to graph f(x,y)=0 in maple and discussing techniques for parametrizing f in a way that allows for the graphing of x(t) and y(t). Examples were given, including the unit circle, to demonstrate the concept of implicit functions and the difficulties that can arise in treating them.
elarson89
graph f(x,y) = 0 (ignore the in maple part please!)

NOTE: please ignore the in maple part of this!

hi everyone, is there a quick way i can graph f(x,y) = 0 in maple? I've ran into this problem a couple of times where f cannot be separated very easily. Or are there any tricks to parametrize f in a such a way that I can graph x(t) and y(t)?

just for example, say i have something like (x+y)^2 = y, if i wanted a quick parametrization of x(t) and y(t), how might i go about that? hopefully a method that works well with complicated expressions.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

elarson89 said:
NOTE: please ignore the in maple part of this!

hi everyone, is there a quick way i can graph f(x,y) = 0 in maple?

So are you just asking how to graph f(x,y)=0? This means that in R3, where a point has the coordinates (x,y,z), your function assigns z=0 for every (x,y). This means that z=f(x,y)=0 is just the xy-plane.

n!kofeyn said:
So are you just asking how to graph f(x,y)=0? This means that in R3, where a point has the coordinates (x,y,z), your function assigns z=0 for every (x,y). This means that z=f(x,y)=0 is just the xy-plane.

No that's not what he is asking about. He's talking about implicit functions of the form f(x,y)=0. In other words, what function y(x) do you need to make some other function f(x,y)=0 for each value of x.

For a simple example take f(x,y)=x^2 + y^2 - 1. Then f(x,y)=0 implicitly describes the unit circle. The OP is looking for general tips in treating this type of function, where sometimes it is not possible to re-arrange it into an explicit function of either variable.

1. What is f(x,y) = 0 and why is it important to graph it?

f(x,y) = 0 is a mathematical function that represents the set of all points where the value of the function is equal to zero. It is important to graph it because it helps visualize the intersection of two variables and can provide insights into the behavior of the function.

2. How can I graph f(x,y) = 0 using Maple?

To graph f(x,y) = 0 using Maple, you can use the "implicitplot" command. Simply type "implicitplot(f(x,y)=0, x=a..b, y=c..d)" where a, b, c, and d are the desired ranges for the x and y axes. This will generate a graph of the function with the x and y axes labeled accordingly.

3. Can I customize the appearance of the graph for f(x,y) = 0 in Maple?

Yes, you can customize the appearance of the graph by adding additional options to the "implicitplot" command. For example, you can change the color and thickness of the graph using the "color" and "thickness" options, or add a label using the "labels" option.

4. What is the purpose of graphing f(x,y) = 0?

The purpose of graphing f(x,y) = 0 is to visually represent the behavior and relationships between two variables. It can help identify patterns, zeros, and other important features of the function.

5. Are there any other tools or software I can use to graph f(x,y) = 0?

Yes, there are many other tools and software available for graphing f(x,y) = 0, such as MATLAB, Mathematica, and Desmos. Each tool may have different commands or features, so it is recommended to explore and find the one that best suits your needs.