Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Graph f(x,y) = 0 in maple

1. Jul 22, 2009 #1
    graph f(x,y) = 0 (ignore the in maple part plz!)

NOTE: plz ignore the in maple part of this!

hi everyone, is there a quick way i can graph f(x,y) = 0 in maple? I've ran into this problem a couple of times where f cannot be separated very easily. Or are there any tricks to parametrize f in a such a way that I can graph x(t) and y(t)?

just for example, say i have something like (x+y)^2 = y, if i wanted a quick parametrization of x(t) and y(t), how might i go about that? hopefully a method that works well with complicated expressions.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 26, 2009 #2
    Re: graph f(x,y) = 0 (ignore the in maple part plz!)

So are you just asking how to graph f(x,y)=0? This means that in R3, where a point has the coordinates (x,y,z), your function assigns z=0 for every (x,y). This means that z=f(x,y)=0 is just the xy-plane.

4. Jul 26, 2009 #3

uart

Science Advisor

Re: graph f(x,y) = 0 (ignore the in maple part plz!)

No that's not what he is asking about. He's talking about implicit functions of the form f(x,y)=0. In other words, what function y(x) do you need to make some other function f(x,y)=0 for each value of x.

For a simple example take f(x,y)=x^2 + y^2 - 1. Then f(x,y)=0 implicitly describes the unit circle. The OP is looking for general tips in treating this type of function, where sometimes it is not possible to re-arrange it into an explicit function of either variable.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook