How do you calculate 1/Frequency?

In summary, the conversation is about a student struggling with Physics homework, specifically graphing frequency vs. wavelength. They discuss how to calculate 1/frequency and clarify the units. The student also asks about the shape of the graph and is told it should be a straight line.
Jath
Alright, I have Physics homework where I have to graph Frequency vs Distance(I think it was distance). Well there are 3 columns, Frequency, Distance(As I said I think) than 1/Frequency. How in the world do you figure out 1/Frequency? I know that Frequency is Hz, and Hz = 1/s. So I would suppose 1/Frequency would be something like this?

Frequency Distance 1/Frequency

1 1/1/s
2 1/2/s
3 1/3/s
4 1/4/s
5 1/5/s
6 1/6/s
7 1/7/s
8 1/8/s

If so, what does s(Seconds) become?

Physics news on Phys.org
[tex] \frac{1}{s^{-1}} = s [/tex]

I understand that 1/s = s, I mean my teacher gave me a gigantic formula going, Hz=1/s=1/1/s=1/s/s=s/s/s=s/s=s... But I still don't know what the heck I am doing. :( Sorry.

Also I just found out this morning that Distance is Wavelength(cm). I still don't know how to find it though.

Last edited:
Any ideas?

I'm really confused as to what you're asking! You have a table with data in the three columns and you are asked to plot frequency vs. wavelength?

I'm asked to plot Wavelength v. 1/Frequency. But I have no clue on how to get the 1/Frequency Column. Right now my table looks like this.

Frequency-----Wavelength---------1/Frequency
(Hz)--------------(cm)---------------( )
1------------------60
2------------------30
3------------------20
4------------------15
5------------------12
6------------------10
7------------------8.6
8------------------7.5

Oh, right. Well, it's just the reciprocal of the first column. So, it would look like

1/frequency
1/1=1
1/2
1/3
1/4

(which I now see is what you put in your first post!)

Now, the units of frequency are [tex]s^{-1}=\frac{1}{s}[/tex] so the units of 1/freq will be [tex]\frac{1}{1/s}[/tex]. What does this equal?

Last edited:
Alright that's kind of what I thought in the beginning. So mostly it would just be,

1/2
1/3
1/4

and NOT

1/1/2
1/1/3
1/1/4

Correct?

Jath said:
Alright that's kind of what I thought in the beginning. So mostly it would just be,

1/2
1/3
1/4
This is correct

and NOT

1/1/2
1/1/3
1/1/4

Correct?
If you actually look at these numbers, they are the reciprocal of 1/freq, i.e. they are frequency (1/(1/2)=2). I think your teacher probably confused you. He may well have been discussing the units for 1/freq (since 1/(1/s)=s)

Alright thanks a lot for your help. Definitely.

Alright so also if I am graphing, would I use .5(1/2), .33(1/3), .25(1/4) or what?

Jath said:
Alright so also if I am graphing, would I use .5(1/2), .33(1/3), .25(1/4) or what?

Yes, you will plot the points at 1/2(=0.5), 1/3(=0.33), etc.

Alright thanks a lot. The only problem I had was graphing because I accidently put the changing value as the y and not the x. Now what should this become as a line when its graphed? Straight, Linear, or Squared?

1. What is the purpose of a graph of frequency vs distance?

A graph of frequency vs distance is used to visualize the relationship between two variables, frequency and distance, and how they change in relation to each other. It can help identify patterns and trends in the data.

2. How is frequency measured in a graph of frequency vs distance?

Frequency is measured on the y-axis of the graph, and is typically represented in units of hertz (Hz). This measures the number of occurrences of a repeating event (such as a wave) per unit of time.

3. What does the slope of a graph of frequency vs distance represent?

The slope of the graph represents the rate of change between frequency and distance. A steeper slope indicates a faster rate of change, while a gentler slope indicates a slower rate of change.

4. How does distance affect frequency in a graph of frequency vs distance?

In general, as distance increases, frequency decreases. This is known as an inverse relationship, where one variable decreases as the other increases. This relationship can be seen in many natural phenomena, such as sound waves and light waves.

5. Can a graph of frequency vs distance be used to make predictions?

Yes, a graph of frequency vs distance can be used to make predictions about the relationship between the two variables. By analyzing the trend of the data, it is possible to make predictions about what the frequency may be at a certain distance or vice versa.