1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Graph of a capacitor

1. Apr 14, 2004 #1
    My class did a graph of a capacitor. Potential v. time. It showed an exponential curve. How do I find the capacitance by using that graph?

C=t/R but how do I find the resistance?

What must be present to produce a voltage across a capacitor or a resistor?
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 14, 2004 #2
    Did you also learn what the formula for that graph is?

For a discharging capacitor it is:

[tex]V(t) = V_0e^{-\frac{t}{\tau }}[/tex]

There are, if I remember correctly, about four ways to find [itex]\tau [/itex] from that graph, but the easiest method is to pick any point on the graph, and subtitute the values of t and V(t) in the equation above, and you can find [itex]\tau [/itex], from which you can find C providing you know R.

"What must be present to produce a voltage across a capacitor or a resistor?" -- I don't understand your question.
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2004
  4. Apr 14, 2004 #3
    How do I find resistance with that graph?
  5. Apr 15, 2004 #4
    You can't. R = 5ohm and C = 2μF will give you the same graph as R = 2ohm and C = 5μF. You might be able to find R if you know the inital current in the circuit, I0, which is equal to Vf/R.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?