1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Graph of an equation

1. Jun 13, 2013 #1
    Hi everyone, I'm learning calculus at school. Recently I was taught this equation like. Y = (2X^2)/(9 - X^2)
    So the teacher did all by himself. So I came home and now confused. I know there are 3 graphs(sorry if the word is not right ) so I was doing it again. And I'm stuck at where to get the position of curves.

I got,
    X = 0 , X = -3, X= 3
    They are 3 graph. So I couldn't figure out how to get more positions and draw it. Unfortunately I can't remember what teacher did 100% .
    So someone please demonstrate it for me from the steps I have done.

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 13, 2013 #2
    I derived the functions and got their maximum /minimum

4. Jun 13, 2013 #3
    Here
    uploadfromtaptalk1371171154059.jpg

5. Jun 13, 2013 #4

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Your work for the derivative is correct: dy/dx = 36x/(9 - x2)2

No, you differentiated the function and found the values for which f' = 0 or where the derivative is not defined.

If you set dy/dx = 0, the only solution is x = 0. The tangent line is horizontal when x = 0 (at the point (0, 0)).

dy/dx is undefined where the denominator is zero; namely, when x = 3 or x = -3. The original function is also undefined at the numbers. These turn out to be vertical asymptotes. The graph of the function tends to +∞ or -∞ on either side of these asymptotes.

Since there are two of them, they divide the number line into three intervals: (-∞, -3), (-3, 3), and (3, ∞). These intervals correspond to the three graphs you're talking about.

6. Jun 18, 2013 #5
    Hi, thank you very much Sir!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted