How Is Maximum Velocity Calculated in Simple Harmonic Motion?

In summary, the graph shows the simple harmonic motion of a 3.9 kg block attached to a horizontal spring on a frictionless surface. The maximum velocity of the block is related to the amplitude and angular frequency of the oscillator, which can be determined from the graph. The maximum velocity is 0.0157 m/s and the mechanical energy of the block is 4.81 * 10^-4 J.
Pat2666
http://img179.imageshack.us/img179/2245/springgraph226fe577uv1.jpg

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A 3.9 kg block is attached to a horizontal spring and undergoes simple harmonic motion on a frictionless surface according to the graph shown above.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(a) What is maximum velocity of the box?
vmax = m/sec

HELP: How is the maximum velocity related to the applitude and the angular frequency of the oscillator?
HELP: How can you get the angular frequency and the amplitude from the above graph?

(b) What is the mechanical energy of the box?
A = J

Okay, so at first I figured this problem wouldn't be too difficult, but I still couldn't figure it out lol I thought I was reading the period T and amplitude A correctly, but am I missing something? I have a feeling it has something to do with the fact it's a spring system. Anyways, here's what I tried below. I believe I'm using the correct equation for Vmax, but I must be getting either A, w or both incorrect.

Also, for part B I believe that would be the correct equation no? Since it's using Vmax PE would be zero.

Any help would be appriciated :)

http://img179.imageshack.us/img179/5518/06162008045940pmgf8.jpg

BTW - I got 1.57m/s for Vmax which was incorrect.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Pat2666,

Your period is incorrect. (It should be in seconds, and the numerical factor does not match the graph.) Once that is corrected, I think you should get the right answers. What do you get?

Oh I see, I kept reading the x coordinate as cm for some reason! Thanks a lot, I totally overlooked that.

I got the right answers too :)

Vmax = 0.0157m/s
A = 4.81 * 10^-4 J

What is a graph of an oscillator?

A graph of an oscillator is a visual representation of the movement or behavior of a system that oscillates or moves back and forth at a regular interval. It shows the relationship between time and displacement or other relevant variables.

What are the different types of oscillators?

There are several types of oscillators, including mechanical oscillators (such as a pendulum or a tuning fork), electronic oscillators (such as a quartz crystal or a LC circuit), and atomic oscillators (such as a cesium or rubidium atomic clock).

What factors affect the behavior of an oscillator?

The behavior of an oscillator can be affected by various factors, including the mass of the oscillator, the stiffness of the restoring force, and the damping or resistance present in the system. External forces, such as friction or a driving force, can also impact the behavior of an oscillator.

How is the amplitude of an oscillator represented on a graph?

The amplitude of an oscillator is represented by the vertical distance from the equilibrium position to the highest or lowest point of the oscillation on the graph. It is a measure of the maximum displacement of the oscillator from its equilibrium position.

What is the significance of the period and frequency of an oscillator?

The period of an oscillator is the time it takes to complete one full cycle of oscillation, while the frequency is the number of cycles per unit time. These values are important in understanding the behavior and characteristics of an oscillator, such as its stability and natural frequency.