1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Graph Of An Oscillator

1. Jun 16, 2008 #1
    [​IMG]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A 3.9 kg block is attached to a horizontal spring and undergoes simple harmonic motion on a frictionless surface according to the graph shown above.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    (a) What is maximum velocity of the box?
    vmax = m/sec

HELP: How is the maximum velocity related to the applitude and the angular frequency of the oscillator?
    HELP: How can you get the angular frequency and the amplitude from the above graph?

(b) What is the mechanical energy of the box?
    A = J

Okay, so at first I figured this problem wouldn't be too difficult, but I still couldn't figure it out lol I thought I was reading the period T and amplitude A correctly, but am I missing something? I have a feeling it has something to do with the fact it's a spring system. Anyways, here's what I tried below. I believe I'm using the correct equation for Vmax, but I must be getting either A, w or both incorrect.

Also, for part B I believe that would be the correct equation no? Since it's using Vmax PE would be zero.

Any help would be appriciated :)

[​IMG]

BTW - I got 1.57m/s for Vmax which was incorrect.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 16, 2008 #2

alphysicist

Homework Helper

Hi Pat2666,

Your period is incorrect. (It should be in seconds, and the numerical factor does not match the graph.) Once that is corrected, I think you should get the right answers. What do you get?

4. Jun 16, 2008 #3
    Oh I see, I kept reading the x coordinate as cm for some reason! Thanks a lot, I totally overlooked that.

I got the right answers too :)

Vmax = 0.0157m/s
    A = 4.81 * 10^-4 J

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?