Graph of current against time

In summary,-A 2200 µF capacitor is charged to a potential difference of 12 V and then discharged through an electric motor. The motor lifts a 50 g mass through a height of 24 cm.-The capacitor is charged to 12 V again and then discharged through a 16 ohms resistor.-The time constant for this discharge is approximately 35 ms.-The solution is: Q=Q_0e^{-\frac{t}{RC}} so: \dot Q=I=-\frac{V_0}{R}e^{-\frac{t}{RC}}
Masafi
Hi, I need help with the last part. I have put each part with the answers.

For b) ii) I want to know where does V=1.6 V come from?

(a) A 2200 µF capacitor is charged to a potential difference of 12 V and then discharged through an electric motor. The motor lifts a 50 g mass through a height of 24 cm.

(i) Show that the energy stored in the capacitor is approximately 0.16

E = ½ CV^2 = 0.5 × 2200 × 10(–6) F × (12 V)^2
E = 0.158 J

(ii) What is the efficiency of the electric motor in this situation?

E = mgh = 0.12 J
Efficiency = 0.12 ÷ 0.16 J = 0.75

(b) The capacitor is charged to 12 V again and then discharged through a 16  resistor.

(i) Show that the time constant for this discharge is approximately 35 ms.

t = RC = 35.2 s

---- I need help with ----

(ii) Sketch a graph of current against time for this discharge on the grid below. You should indicate the current at t = 0 and t = 35 ms.

Curve starting on I axis but not reaching t axis
I = 1.6 V / 16Ohms = 100 mA shown on axis
Curve passing through about 37 mA at t = 35 ms

Physics news on Phys.org
What is the equation for current as a function of time? Hint: it is the solution to the differential equation:

[itex]V_C + V_R = 0[/itex] where [itex]V_R = IR = R(dQ/dt)[/itex] and [itex]V_C = Q/C[/itex]

So:

[tex]\dot Q + Q/RC = 0[/itex]

AM

Andrew Mason said:
What is the equation for current as a function of time? Hint: it is the solution to the differential equation:

[itex]V_C + V_R = 0[/itex] where [itex]V_R = IR = R(dQ/dt)[/itex] and [itex]V_C = Q/C[/itex]

So:

[tex]\dot Q + Q/RC = 0[/itex]

AM

Is there any other way, because this is precalculus physics?

Masafi said:
Is there any other way, because this is precalculus physics?
The solution is:

[tex]Q = Q_0e^{-\frac{t}{RC}}[/tex]

so:

[tex]\dot Q = I = \frac{V}{R} = -\frac{Q_0}{RC}e^{-\frac{t}{RC}} = -\frac{V_0}{R}e^{-\frac{t}{RC}} [/tex]

Can you graph that?

AM

Last edited:
Andrew Mason said:
The solution is:

[tex]Q = Q_0e^{-\frac{t}{RC}}[/tex]

so:

[tex]\dot Q = I = \frac{V}{R} = -\frac{Q_0}{RC}e^{-\frac{t}{RC}} = -\frac{V_0}{R}e^{-\frac{t}{RC}} [/tex]

Can you graph that?

AM

Yeah, so at t=0, I = 12V/16ohms = 0.75A

But the answer uses 1.6V, which I am not sure where they get from...

"I = 1.6 V / 16 = 100 mA shown on axis "

Shouldn't it be 12V since it says:

"The capacitor is charged to 12 V again and then discharged through a 16ohms resistor"

The time constant is approximately 35s, as the capacitance is 2200 microF.

On the graph in the answer, they have Current = 37mA at t=35, and Current = 100mA at t=0?

Basically, I can't get how they get the orignal V to be 1.6V, rather than 12V - there was no mention of 1.6V in the question...

You are right. The answers given correspond to an initial voltage of 1.6 V, not 12. The correct answers are 750 mA and 277 mA.

AM

1. What is a graph of current against time?

A graph of current against time is a visual representation of the changes in electric current over a period of time. The horizontal axis represents time, while the vertical axis represents the current value. This type of graph is commonly used in physics and electrical engineering to analyze the behavior of electrical circuits and devices.

2. What does a straight line on a graph of current against time represent?

A straight line on a graph of current against time represents a constant or steady flow of electric current. This means that the current remains the same throughout the period of time being measured. In other words, the rate of change of current over time is constant.

3. How can the slope of a graph of current against time be interpreted?

The slope of a graph of current against time represents the rate of change of current over time. A steeper slope indicates a faster rate of change, while a flatter slope indicates a slower rate of change. This can be useful in analyzing the behavior of electrical components and circuits.

4. What causes fluctuations in a graph of current against time?

Fluctuations in a graph of current against time can be caused by various factors such as changes in voltage, resistor values, or environmental conditions. These fluctuations can also be influenced by external factors such as interference or noise in the circuit.

5. How is a graph of current against time used in practical applications?

A graph of current against time is commonly used in practical applications such as analyzing the performance of electrical devices, troubleshooting circuit issues, and predicting the lifespan of electronic components. This type of graph can also be used to monitor and control the flow of current in real-time, making it a useful tool in industries such as power generation and distribution.