1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Graph of elevator's velocity

1. Feb 14, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    QQ9OQ0S.png

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    This is more of a help with understanding problem. I understand a) and b), but for c), I don't understand:
    1. Why is the distance from t=12-16 -20 m and not +20 m? Isn't there a positive slope? I thought this question was asking for distance traveled, not displacement?
    2. My attempt at c) was to use the equation y(t)-y0 = 1/2(v0+v(t))t, but my answer was 325 m. y0=+75 m, v0=20 m/s, v(t)=5 m/s, and t=20s. What did I do wrong?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 14, 2016 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Part (c) asks for distance traveled, but part (d) asks for the final position.

4. Feb 14, 2016 #3
    So what did I do wrong in the equation I set up in d)?

5. Feb 14, 2016 #4

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The average velocity is not 1/2(v0+v(t)) for part (d) because the acceleration is not constant over the entire time interval.

6. Feb 14, 2016 #5
    Oh okay, I understand now. Thanks. But what about the distance from t=12-16 seconds? Why is it -20 m and not +20 m?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted