Plotting e^(a+ix): A Guide for Beginners

• Thread starter silent_hunter
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Graph
In summary, to plot the complex function e(a+ix) and ea[cos(x) + i*sin(x)] (=e(a+ix)) in cartesian coordinate, you can create two separate graphs for the real and imaginary parts of the function using 2D or 3D coordinates. Alternatively, you can use a 4th dimension, such as color, to represent the complex values. It is also possible to plot the function as a combination of real and imaginary parts in a single graph.
silent_hunter
I was just wondering how can I plot e(a+ix) and ea[cos(x) + i*sin(x)] (=e(a+ix)) in cartesian coordinate. (a is constant,x is independent variable & i is imaginary number).
This is my first post,so please forgive for any mistakes :) Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF silent_hunter,

if a and b are constants, then e(a+ib) is just a number. Do you mean something different?

Edgardo said:
Welcome to PF silent_hunter,

if a and b are constants, then e(a+ib) is just a number. Do you mean something different?

Thanks for replaying ,I made a mistake. b is not constant, I'm editing my post .Sorry for my stupidity.

Actually I want to know how to plot the above complex function in cartesian coordinate.I mean in which axis do I consider domain and which one will be range?
By the way somewhere I heard that 4 dimensions are needed to plot complex functions.

Last edited:
The problem with complex functions such as exp(a+ib) is that their domain is two dimensional and their range can be two dimensional as well. How do you visualize a two dimensional range?

One way is to create two different pictures, one for domain and one for range:
http://www-math.mit.edu/daimp/ComplexExponential.html

In the link above you have the function exp(z) with z = a+ib.
The left picture represents the domain and the right picture the function exp(z).

Thanks bro, now I understand.
Edgardo said:
The problem with complex functions such as exp(a+ib) is that their domain is two dimensional and their range can be two dimensional as well. How do you visualize a two dimensional range?
I thought that it could be placed in same plane,but it seems it still can be done.

If we plot z=cos(x) and z= i sin(y) then it looks like as the following attachments.

Attachments

• type1 .jpg
    type1 .jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 561
  • type2.jpg
    type2.jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 609
and if you treat i as another coordinate, then I guess the fn behaves like z= cos(x) + sin(y) (sorry if I've made any mistakes) and the graphs are as follows!

Attachments

• type1.jpg
    type1.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 618
  • type2 .jpg
    type2 .jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 501
  • type3 .jpg
    type3 .jpg
    16 KB · Views: 553

1. What is e^(a+ix)?

e^(a+ix) is a mathematical function where e is the base of the natural logarithm, a is a real number, and ix is an imaginary number. This function is commonly known as the complex exponential function.

2. What is the purpose of plotting e^(a+ix)?

The purpose of plotting e^(a+ix) is to visualize the complex exponential function and understand its behavior. This can help beginners to gain a better understanding of complex numbers and their applications in mathematics and science.

3. What are the key steps to plotting e^(a+ix)?

The key steps to plotting e^(a+ix) are:

• Choose a range of values for a and x
  • Calculate the corresponding values of e^(a+ix) using the complex exponential function
  • Plot the points on a Cartesian plane, with the real axis representing the values of a and the imaginary axis representing the values of x
  • Connect the points to form a curve, which is the graph of e^(a+ix)

4. What are some common misconceptions about plotting e^(a+ix)?

One common misconception is that e^(a+ix) always results in a complex number. While this is true for certain values of a and x, there are also cases where the result is a real number. Another misconception is that the graph of e^(a+ix) is always a spiral, when in fact it can take on various shapes depending on the values of a and x.

5. How can plotting e^(a+ix) be applied in real-life situations?

Plotting e^(a+ix) has numerous applications in fields such as engineering, physics, and economics. It can be used to model oscillating systems, analyze electrical circuits, and study exponential growth and decay processes. It is also used in signal processing and telecommunications to understand and manipulate complex waveforms.