1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Graph of v(t) for a Sports Car

1. Jan 26, 2005 #1
    The graph shows the velocity v of a sports car as a function of time t . Use the graph to answer the following questions.

1.) Find the maximum acceleration a_max of the car
    Express your answer in meters per second squared to the nearest integer.
    a_max= _____________________ m/s^2

from the graph, should the acceleration be around 55m/s? but the answer must be in m/s^2, should am i suppose to convert it first? i'm new to physics, so all of this is pretty confusing.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 26, 2005 #2
    Is this from a non-calculus based physics class?
  4. Jan 26, 2005 #3
    velocity is in m/s is it not? Acceleration is the change of velocity with respect to a change in time or [itex]\Delta v/\Delta t[/itex]. Loot athe the graph and equate changes in velocity with their corresponding change in time.
  5. Jan 26, 2005 #4
    it's a cal-based class.

how would i find the changes in velocity? it's all over the place. and for time, would the change in time be 1?
  6. Jan 26, 2005 #5
    If this is a calculus based class then you should know that acceleration is the slope of a velocity function.

given a function y(x) then the slope of said function is dy/dx. Given a function of v(t) then the slope is dv/dt which is acceleration.

Think slope and grab a ruler.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?