Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Graph of v(t) for a Sports Car

1. Jan 26, 2005 #1
    The graph shows the velocity v of a sports car as a function of time t . Use the graph to answer the following questions.

1.) Find the maximum acceleration a_max of the car
    Express your answer in meters per second squared to the nearest integer.
    a_max= _____________________ m/s^2

from the graph, should the acceleration be around 55m/s? but the answer must be in m/s^2, should am i suppose to convert it first? i'm new to physics, so all of this is pretty confusing.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 26, 2005 #2
    Is this from a non-calculus based physics class?

4. Jan 26, 2005 #3
    velocity is in m/s is it not? Acceleration is the change of velocity with respect to a change in time or [itex]\Delta v/\Delta t[/itex]. Loot athe the graph and equate changes in velocity with their corresponding change in time.

5. Jan 26, 2005 #4
    it's a cal-based class.

how would i find the changes in velocity? it's all over the place. and for time, would the change in time be 1?

6. Jan 26, 2005 #5
    If this is a calculus based class then you should know that acceleration is the slope of a velocity function.

given a function y(x) then the slope of said function is dy/dx. Given a function of v(t) then the slope is dv/dt which is acceleration.

Think slope and grab a ruler.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook