Graph Problem: Reconstructing Spanning Trees

In summary, the conversation is about proving that if a matrix has rows that are spanning trees of a graph G, then there is a way to rearrange the rows so that the columns are also spanning trees of G. The definition of a spanning tree is discussed and a theorem is mentioned that may help with the proof. The conversation then focuses on using this theorem to prove the theorem for the first column and then for the subsequent columns. The conversation ends with a request for confirmation and proof of the statement.
user1616
Graph problem!

Proove that:

If we have a matrix
|e11 e12 ... e1n|
|e21 e22 ... e2n|
| ..... |
|en1 en2 ... enn|

(eij edges of a graph G)
where every row is a spanning tree of G

then
there is a recomposition of every row so that the columns are also spanning trees of G.

Physics news on Phys.org
It might be good to start with the definition of a spanning tree...

well
A spanning tree is a cohesive connected graph (T) with no loops that contains all the vertices of G...
...any idea?

Refresh my memory. Is there somewhere a theorem stating that, in a graph of n+1 vertices, any set of n (distinct) edges is a spanning tree?

Edit: Oh, sorry, I should've said "any tree of n distinct edges is spanning". If the set contains a loop, it will not comprise n+1 distinct vertices.

Last edited:
Yes there should be no loops.
Anyway
I read a theorem that may help. It says:

We have 2 trees T,T'.
For every edge (x) that belongs to T there is an edge (Y) that belongs to T' so that:
(T-{x})U{y} and (T'-{y})U{x} are also trees.

I'm trying to use it...

Well using it I just prooved it for the first column.
For the next columns, in the previews theorem I should know that for every x' != x
there is a y' != y. (!= is different)

Can anybody tell me whether this is true or not?
Also if it is, does anybody have any proof?

Thanx anyway.
I prooved it.

1. What is a spanning tree in graph theory?

A spanning tree is a type of subgraph that includes all the vertices of a graph and is also a tree, meaning it has no cycles or loops. In other words, it is a connected and acyclic subgraph of a given graph.

2. Why is reconstructing spanning trees an important problem in graph theory?

Reconstructing spanning trees is an important problem in graph theory because it helps to understand the structure and relationships within a graph. Spanning trees are used in various applications such as network design, finding shortest paths, and identifying clusters in data.

3. What is the algorithm for reconstructing spanning trees?

The most commonly used algorithm for reconstructing spanning trees is the Kruskal's algorithm. It works by selecting the shortest edges in a graph and adding them to the spanning tree as long as they do not create a cycle. This process is repeated until all the vertices are connected in the spanning tree.

4. Can a graph have more than one spanning tree?

Yes, a graph can have multiple spanning trees. This is because there can be multiple ways to connect all the vertices of a graph while still maintaining the properties of a spanning tree (no cycles and all vertices connected).

5. How is the minimum spanning tree related to the reconstruction of spanning trees?

The minimum spanning tree is a specific type of spanning tree that has the minimum possible weight or cost among all the possible spanning trees in a graph. The reconstruction of spanning trees involves finding the minimum spanning tree in a given graph, making it a crucial part of the problem.