Solving for Total Work: A Monatomic Gas at 27degrees C

• Thread starter ManuelGR
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gas Work
In summary, the problem involves finding the total work done during a constant volume process from A to B and a constant pressure process from B to C for a monatomic gas at 27 degrees C. The work done is represented by the area under the curve, and for process AB, no work is done while for process BC, the area formed is a rectangle. The relationship between pressure and volume is still unclear.
ManuelGR

Homework Statement

A monatomic gas at 27degrees C undergoes a constant volume process from A to B and a constant pressure process from B to C, as shown in the figure below:

Find the total work done during these two processes.

2ibfayh.jpg

Homework Equations

Not sure...

The Attempt at a Solution

I know I have to find the area under the curve, but I'm not sure how I have to relate the ATM's (pressure) to volume.

Physics news on Phys.org
ManuelGR said:

The Attempt at a Solution

I know I have to find the area under the curve, but I'm not sure how I have to relate the ATM's (pressure) to volume.

Yes, the work done is the area under the curve. For process AB, is any work done? For process BC, the area formed is a rectangle.

As a scientist, you are correct in your understanding that the total work done can be found by calculating the area under the curve on a pressure-volume diagram. To solve for this, you will need to use the ideal gas law, which relates pressure, volume, and temperature for an ideal gas. The equation is PV = nRT, where P is pressure, V is volume, n is the number of moles of gas, R is the gas constant, and T is temperature in Kelvin.

To find the total work, you will need to integrate the equation for work, W = -PdV, from point A to point B and from point B to point C. This will give you the work done during the constant volume process and the constant pressure process, respectively. Then, you can simply add these two values together to find the total work done during the entire process.

To relate the pressure to volume, you can use the ideal gas law and rearrange it to solve for pressure in terms of volume and temperature. This will give you an equation for pressure as a function of volume, which you can then use in the work equation.

It is also important to note that since the gas is monatomic, the internal energy change will be equal to the work done. This means that the total work done will also be equal to the change in internal energy, which can be calculated using the ideal gas law and the change in temperature.

I hope this helps guide you in solving for the total work done in this process.

1. What is the formula for solving for total work in a monatomic gas at 27 degrees C?

The formula for solving for total work in a monatomic gas at 27 degrees C is W = nRT ln (Vf/Vi), where W is work, n is the number of moles of gas, R is the gas constant, T is the temperature in Kelvin, and Vf and Vi are the final and initial volumes of the gas.

2. How do you convert degrees Celsius to Kelvin?

To convert degrees Celsius to Kelvin, simply add 273.15 to the temperature in degrees Celsius.

3. What is the gas constant (R) and what are its units?

The gas constant (R) is a physical constant that relates the energy of a gas to its temperature, pressure, and volume. Its value depends on the units used, but in SI units, its value is approximately 8.314 J/mol*K.

4. What is the significance of using a monatomic gas in this equation?

The use of a monatomic gas in this equation is significant because it simplifies the calculation by assuming that the gas particles are point masses with no internal structure, making the calculations easier and more accurate.

5. What other factors can affect the total work in this equation?

In addition to temperature and volume, the number of moles of the gas and the initial and final pressures can also affect the total work in this equation. Additionally, external factors such as friction and heat transfer can also play a role in the total work calculation.