Analyzing f(x) Graph: Identifying Points and Derivatives

• Thread starter salma17
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Graph
In summary: F to HI drew the tangents on each point, and I got positive slopes at points A,B,C,D, and E.You should be able to find where the positive slope is by drawing a line from point A to point B, and then drawing a line from point B to point C, and then drawing a line from point C to point D, and then drawing a line from point D to point E.
salma17
Im working on my study guide..and I have no idea how to do these types of problems.Can anyone please just give me a hint on how I can approach these?
I attached the graph.

a few of the questions I am having trouble with are:

At which point is f(x) > 0?
a) A b) B c) C d) D e) None of these

At which point is f'(x)> 0?

At which point is f'(x) =0 ?

Id appreciate any feedback I get. thanks

Attachments

• graph2.png
    graph2.png
    12.7 KB · Views: 409
Physics news on Phys.org
For (a), you look at the graph! Or are you saying that you do not know what "f(x)> 0" means?

For (b) and (c), you have to know what f' means. It is the "slope of the tangent line". As long as the graph is increasing, f' is positive. As long as the graph is decreasing, f' is negative.

Yea, I don't know what it means. I learned all this material last year, and it was really easy to me back then, and now I have to know it for my next math class, and I forgot everything :/ So for a), its basically asking which point in the Y-axis is greater then 0? Which are letters A and H, right?

can anyone please help me with this??

HallsofIvy said:
For (a) ... For (b) and (c)
What?
salma17 said:
Yea, I don't know what it means. I learned all this material last year, and it was really easy to me back then, and now I have to know it for my next math class, and I forgot everything :/ So for a), its basically asking which point in the Y-axis is greater then 0? Which are letters A and H, right?
Are you sure you've quoted the question correctly? Your multiple choice answers only include points A, B, C and D, but your attached graph also has points E, F, G and H.

Yes, that's how it is on my study guide. So I am thinking if any of the answer ends up to be either E,F,G or H, then it will be "none of these".

salma17 said:
Yes, that's how it is on my study guide. So I am thinking if any of the answer ends up to be either E,F,G or H, then it will be "none of these".
If the options are A, B, C, D or None of these, and you think the possible correct answers are A and H, then why would you say "None of these"?

Im not saying that. above I said the answers for part a) should be A and H. in my previous post,im saying if an answer(in general) is either E,F,G,or H, then it will be none of these.
Anyways, am I right about part A?

salma17 said:
Anyways, am I right about part A?
You haven't labelled any question as "Part A" etc, but yes you are correct for the first one.

For the others, do you understand what f'(x) means, as HallsofIvy asked? (He did actually explain what it meant, too.)

Last edited:
ok so for the question At which point is f'(x)> 0? , I look at the graph to see which point above 0 the graph is increasing at? which is at letter H, correct?

Last edited:
salma17 said:
ok so for the question At which point is f'(x)> 0? , I look at the graph to see which point above 0 the graph is increasing at?
Why would you only consider points above 0?

because the first part its asking what y-coordinate is greater than 0? or am i totally wrong?

salma17 said:
because the first part its asking what y-coordinate is greater than 0? or am i totally wrong?
That was the first part, this is the second part.

because it says >0 so greater then 0? I honestly have no idea how to even begin this one

salma17 said:
because it says >0 so greater then 0? I honestly have no idea how to even begin this one
The first part asked for f() > 0. That is, the function > 0.
The second part asks for f'() > 0. That is, the gradient greater than zero. That is independent of whether the function, f, is greater than zero. So it can be anywhere on the graph as long as it slopes from lower left to upper right.

ohh so I have to look at where the slope is increasing..so its from point F to H

salma17 said:
ohh so I have to look at where the slope is increasing
No, where the slope is positive. This is exactly the same as where f'(x) > 0.

This is not the same as "where the slope is increasing." None of the questions asked where the slope was increasing.
salma17 said:
..so its from point F to H

I drew the tangents on each point, and I got positive slopes at points C,D,E and H. If this wrong, then I am drawing my tangents wrong and I'll need to youtube how to drank tangents.

salma17 said:
ohh so I have to look at where the slope is increasing..
Distinguish clearly in your mind the following:
- the places where f() > 0; that is the portion above the x axis.
- the places where f'() > 0; f'(x) is the slope at x. Where the slope > 0, f is increasing as x increases. The graph slopes from lower left to upper right. That can be a positive f getting larger, or a negative f getting less negative (or becoming positive).
- the places where f''() > 0; these sections are where the slope is increasing. Viewed from below the curve, the curve is convex. That can be a positive slope getting steeper, or a negative slope getting shallower (or becoming positive).
All 8 combinations (f being +/-, f' being +/-, f'' being +/-) can occur.

salma17 said:
I drew the tangents on each point, and I got positive slopes at points C,D,E and H. If this wrong, then I am drawing my tangents wrong and I'll need to youtube how to drank tangents.

The slopes of the tangent lines at D and H are positive, yes.

Pretty clearly, the slopes of the tangent lines at C and E are NOT positive. Why do you think they are?

When you draw tangent lines, don't they have to interesect at the origin of the graph? most likely no because that's what i did and why i got it wrong.

salma17 said:
When you draw tangent lines, don't they have to interesect at the origin of the graph?
No, not at all.
salma17 said:
most likely no because that's what i did and why i got it wrong.

Think of the curve as a road that you're driving along. Wherever you are on the road, your eyes are looking straight ahead (or they should be). That direction is the same as the tangent line's direction.

Alright, so would the answer be point G, which is E)none of these for f ' (x) >0 since at G the slope is at X

^^ I meant H. and i think point G is f '(x)=0

salma17 said:
Alright, so would the answer be point G, which is E)none of these for f ' (x) >0 since at G the slope is at X

the slope is at X? What does that mean?

salma17 said:
^^ I meant H. and i think point G is f '(x)=0

No. At G, f'(x) ≠ 0. Are you just guessing?

I read above that " f'(x) is the slope at x." by at X I mean its right on the x-axis

salma17 said:
I read above that " f'(x) is the slope at x."
Of course it is. f'(x) is the slope of the function at the point (x, f(x)). That doesn't tell me anything, though.
salma17 said:
by at X I mean its right on the x-axis
Who is?
Please don't use "it".

salma17 said:
I read above that " f'(x) is the slope at x." by at X I mean its right on the x-axis
What do you mean by a slope "right on the x-axis"?
This can be a bit confusing because x is sometimes used to refer to the variable in general and sometimes to particular values. So let me clarify by using x0 for a particular value.
f'(x0) is the slope of f at x0, i.e. the value of f'(x) evaluated at the point x = x0. Pick a point x0 on the x axis; draw a vertical line through there; see where that line intersects f(x); see what the slope of f is at that point. That is f'(x0).
Example: f(x) = x2. f'(x) = 2x. With x0 = -1, f(-1) = 1, f'(-1) = -2.

Okkk I think that makes better sense to me. I did them again and got D for f 'x>0 and C for f 'x=0

salma17 said:
Okkk I think that makes better sense to me. I did them again and got D for f 'x>0 and C for f 'x=0
Good!

1. What is the purpose of analyzing f(x) graphs?

The purpose of analyzing f(x) graphs is to gain a better understanding of the behavior and characteristics of a function. By examining the shape and movement of the graph, we can identify important points and calculate the rate of change at different points using derivatives.

2. How do you identify points on a f(x) graph?

To identify points on a f(x) graph, we look for the x and y coordinates where the graph intersects the axes or crosses the x or y axis. These points are also known as intercepts. Additionally, we can also identify points by finding the maximum or minimum values on the graph.

3. What is the derivative of a function and how do you calculate it?

The derivative of a function is the rate of change or slope of the graph at a specific point. It represents how much the output of the function changes for a small change in the input. To calculate the derivative, we use the formula f'(x) = lim(h→0) (f(x+h) - f(x))/h, where h represents a small change in the input value.

4. How do you use derivatives to analyze f(x) graphs?

Derivatives can be used to analyze f(x) graphs by providing information about the slope or rate of change at different points on the graph. They can help us identify where the graph is increasing or decreasing, and at what rate. Additionally, derivatives can also be used to find the maximum or minimum values of a function.

5. What are some real-world applications of analyzing f(x) graphs?

Analyzing f(x) graphs has many real-world applications, such as in physics, economics, and engineering. In physics, derivatives can be used to calculate the velocity and acceleration of an object. In economics, they can be used to determine the marginal cost and revenue of a product. In engineering, derivatives can be used to optimize designs and determine the most efficient solutions to problems.