1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Graph scale confusion

Tags:
  1. Mar 2, 2015 #1
    Hello,

I have to estimate some values from a plot (shown in the attachment). The trouble is I'm not sure how to read one of the scales
    Untitled-1.jpg

could someone please explain the nature of the scale along the top frame, the angular scale, i.e how it is spaced. One of my aims is to estimate which angle, roughly, the first peak corresponds to but I don't understand how the values between the 2 degrees and 0.5 degrees are spaced.

Thanks a lot

P.S the plot was taken from a technical paper regarding results from the WMAP experiment, which can be found at http://map.gsfc.nasa.gov/news/tp_links.html

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 2, 2015 #2

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

There are several dozen technical papers at the link you gave.

We'd like to help, but you should pick the paper with your plot and reference just that one paper. Give a page number so we don't have to hunt it up.

4. Mar 2, 2015 #3
    Sorry, I should have referenced that better, this is a better link to follow

http://lambda.gsfc.nasa.gov/product/map/current/map_bibliography.cfm

and the paper where the plot came from is called

Nine-Year Wilkinson Microwave Anisotropy Probe (WMAP) Observations: Cosmology Results
    Hinshaw, G.F., et.al., 2013, ApJS., 208, 19H

the plot is fig.2 on page 8.

Thanks again

5. Mar 2, 2015 #4

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Subject of a thread with the colleagues here. ##\theta = {180^\circ\over l}## with a caveat that it's not perfectly well-defined.

6. Mar 3, 2015 #5
    Thanks, that was helpful.

7. Mar 3, 2015 #6

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Exciting subject !

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted