1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Graph the weight gain and loss during the pregnancy

1. Sep 24, 2005 #1
    During pregnancy, a woman's weight naturally increases during the course of the event. When she delivers, her weight immediately decreases by the approximate weight of the child. Suppose that a 120-lb woman gains 27lb during pregnancy, delivers a 7-lb baby, and then, through diet and exercise, loses the remaining weight during the next 20 weeks.

a) Graph the weight gain and loss during the pregnancy and the 20 weeks following the birth of the baby. Assume that the pregnancy lasts 40 weeks, that delivery occurs immediately after this time interval, and that the weight gain/loss before and after birth is linear.

b) Is this a continuous function? If not, then find the values of t where the function is discontinuous.

First of all, i dunno how to graph it. can anybody show me that?
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 24, 2005 #2
    On the vertical axis you put the weight (lb) and on the horizontal axis time (weeks). At time 0 the weight is 120lb and at time 40 the weight is 147lb. So the linear function is a line from (0;120) to (40;147). When she gives birth, she immediately loses 7lb (still time 40), so now the weight is 140lb. Then by time 60 shes back down to 140-20=120lb. So draw a graph from (40;140) to (60;120).

EDIT: Oh, and I think the intervals on the x-axis should be [0;40] and (40;60] (or the other way around, you just have to include 40 once).

- Kamataat
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2005
  4. Sep 24, 2005 #3
    um...i got some idea about the graph....but just to make sure....can u graph it out for me?
  5. Sep 24, 2005 #4

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

gillgill, you've been around here long enough to know we're not going to fall for that one!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?