Graph Theory Textbooks: Bondy, Murty, Diestel, Trudeau

In summary, the person is looking for recommendations on which graph theory textbook to purchase at an advanced level. They have already gone through Trudeau's intro text and are comfortable with proofs. They are considering "Graph Theory" by Bondy and Murty, "Graph Theory" by Richard Diestel, and "Graphs and Digraphs" by Chartrand et al. They are also aware of free versions of the texts available online. They are asking for input on the strengths and weaknesses of these texts and any other recommendations at the same level.
mak52810
Hi All,

I am contemplating which graph theory text to purchase. I am stuck between

a) Graph Theory by Bondy and Murty

B) Graph Theory by Richard Diestel

I have already been through Trudeau's intro text on my own and am looking for something deeper and more advanced. I am comfortable with proofs etc.

Please give your input as to the strengths and weaknesses of both these texts. Please also suggest any other textbooks at the same level that i should consider.

Ps. I know textbook preference is quite subjective but I still want your input.

Physics news on Phys.org
I am also considering Graphs and Digraphs by Chartrand et al. Please give any input related to that.

there's a GTM series of bondy and murty's online that you can DL for free. Diestel also has a free version. just google them

1. What is Graph Theory?

Graph Theory is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of graphs, which are mathematical structures used to model relationships between objects. It is a fundamental tool in both mathematics and computer science, with applications in various fields such as social networks, transportation networks, and communication networks.

2. Who are the authors of the most popular Graph Theory textbooks?

The most popular Graph Theory textbooks are written by Douglas B. West, Reinhard Diestel, J.A. Bondy and U.S.R. Murty, and William J. Trudeau. These authors have made significant contributions to the field of Graph Theory and are highly respected among mathematicians and computer scientists.

3. What are the main topics covered in the Bondy, Murty, Diestel, and Trudeau textbooks?

The main topics covered in these textbooks include basic concepts of graphs, graph connectivity, graph coloring, graph algorithms, and graph isomorphism. They also cover more advanced topics such as spectral graph theory, random graphs, and graph minors.

4. Are these textbooks suitable for beginners in Graph Theory?

Yes, these textbooks are suitable for beginners as they provide a comprehensive introduction to the subject. They start with basic concepts and gradually build up to more advanced topics, making them accessible to students with little or no prior knowledge of Graph Theory.

5. What makes the Bondy, Murty, Diestel, and Trudeau textbooks stand out?

These textbooks are highly regarded for their clear and concise writing style, comprehensive coverage of topics, and numerous examples and exercises for practice. They also include historical notes and applications of Graph Theory in various fields, making the material more interesting and relevant to readers.