Can a graph with no self loops and odd common neighbors have an Eulerian path?

In summary, the conversation is about trying to prove that a graph with no self loops or parallel edges and with every two different vertices having an odd number of common neighbor vertices has an eulerian path. The problem has been thought about for a whole day and the conjecture can be easily falsified with a trivial modification to the seven bridges of Königsberg problem. The use of the word "odd" is odd as having an Eulerian cycle requires every vertex to have an even degree. The number of common neighbor vertices is odd, but it is important to also consider not common vertices. The solution may involve proving that all vertices have even degree. One of the participants has already solved the problem.
estro
I'm trying to prove that a graph with the below properties has an eulerian path.
1. Graph has no self loops or parallel edges.
2. Every two different vertices u and v have an odd number of common neighbor vertices.

I'm thinking about this problem for a whole day and can't manage to prove this. I think that I can prove it if I could prove that every graph with these properties must have odd number of vertices but I can't prove it as well.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
As I read it, your conjecture is easily falsified by a trivial modification to the seven bridges of Königsberg problem. Using the word "odd" is rather odd as one of the conditions for an undirected graph to have an Eulerian cycle is that every vertex must have an even degree.

The number of common neighbor vertices is odd, however don't forget about not common vertices.

Looks like it will involve proving all vertices have even degree. So consider a vertex of odd degree. What can you say about its neighbours and the edges connecting them?

What, exactly, do you mean by "Every two different vertices u and v have an odd number of common neighbor vertices", and how does the bridges of Königsberg problem (which does not have an Eulerian path) not exhibit this behavior?

Hi estro,

Are you still interested in this? The hint I gave in post #4 does lead to the solution.

Hi Haruspex,

I already solved this problem, thanks!

1. What is an Eulerian path in graph theory?

An Eulerian path is a path in a graph that visits every vertex exactly once and ends at the starting vertex. It is named after the Swiss mathematician Leonhard Euler who first described it in the 18th century. In order for a graph to have an Eulerian path, it must have exactly two vertices with an odd number of edges, or all vertices must have an even number of edges.

2. What is the difference between an Eulerian path and an Eulerian circuit?

An Eulerian path is a path that visits every vertex exactly once, while an Eulerian circuit is a path that visits every edge exactly once and ends at the starting vertex. In other words, an Eulerian circuit is an Eulerian path that is also a cycle. For a graph to have an Eulerian circuit, all vertices must have an even number of edges.

3. How do you determine if a graph has an Eulerian path?

To determine if a graph has an Eulerian path, you can use the "handshaking lemma", which states that in any undirected graph, the sum of the degrees of all vertices is equal to twice the number of edges. If the graph has exactly two vertices with an odd degree, then it has an Eulerian path. If all vertices have an even degree, then the graph has an Eulerian circuit.

4. Can a directed graph have an Eulerian path?

Yes, a directed graph can have an Eulerian path. However, in a directed graph, the concept of degree is split into two categories: indegree (the number of edges entering a vertex) and outdegree (the number of edges leaving a vertex). For a directed graph to have an Eulerian path, the indegree must equal the outdegree for every vertex, except for two vertices which can have a difference of 1 (one vertex with an indegree of 1 more than its outdegree, and one vertex with an outdegree of 1 more than its indegree).

5. How is graph theory - Eulerian path used in real life applications?

Graph theory - Eulerian path has various real-life applications, such as in transportation networks, computer networks, and DNA sequencing. It can be used to find the most efficient route for a delivery or to design the most optimal network layout. In DNA sequencing, Eulerian paths are used to determine the sequence of a DNA strand by finding the most efficient path through a graph representing the DNA sequence.