Graph Theory Question: Finding Equal Degree Vertices in Graphs

In summary, the problem at hand is to show that in every graph there are two vertices of the same degree and to determine all graphs with exactly one pair of vertices of equal degree. The solution is to consider a graph with one pair of equal degree vertices and show that it cannot exist due to contradictions.
Anro

Homework Statement

Hello everyone;
This is the problem that I am working on:

(a) - Show that in every graph there are two vertices of the same degree.

(b) - Determine all graphs with exactly one pair of vertices of equal degree.

Homework Equations

None.

The Attempt at a Solution

For part (a) I assumed a graph of order n with the largest possible degree is (n – 1), and the smallest possible degree is zero. Next, I showed that if every vertex in this graph has a different degree than the others, then the vertex with degree (n – 1) will have to be connected to the vertex with degree zero, which is a contradiction.

Part (b) is where I’m stuck; I’ve been looking at graphs with 2, 3, and 4 vertices to see if I can get a certain pattern but I can’t seem to find it. So any help would be appreciated; thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org

Hi there,

For part (a), your approach seems sound and your proof is correct. For part (b), let's consider a graph with exactly one pair of vertices of equal degree. This means that all other vertices must have different degrees. Let's label the vertices as follows: the two vertices with equal degree as A and B, and all other vertices as C, D, E, etc.

First, let's consider the case where A and B are not connected. This means that the degrees of A and B must be different from all other vertices, so let's say A has degree n and B has degree m. This means that the degrees of all other vertices must be less than n and m. However, since there are only n-1 vertices (excluding A), there must be at least one vertex with degree less than m, which contradicts our assumption that B has the smallest degree. Therefore, A and B must be connected.

Next, let's consider the case where A and B are connected. This means that their degrees must be the same, so let's say they both have degree n. This means that the degrees of all other vertices must be less than n. However, since there are only n-2 vertices (excluding A and B), there must be at least one vertex with degree less than n, which again contradicts our assumption that A and B have the largest degree. Therefore, there cannot be a graph with exactly one pair of vertices of equal degree.

In conclusion, there are no graphs with exactly one pair of vertices of equal degree. I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any further questions.

1. What is graph theory?

Graph theory is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of graphs, which are mathematical structures used to model pairwise relations between objects. It involves examining the properties and characteristics of these graphs, as well as developing algorithms and theories to analyze and solve problems related to them.

2. What are the applications of graph theory?

Graph theory has a wide range of applications in various fields such as computer science, biology, social sciences, transportation and logistics, and many more. It can be used to model and analyze networks, relationships and connections, optimization problems, and decision-making processes.

3. What are the basic elements of a graph?

The basic elements of a graph include vertices (nodes) and edges. Vertices are the points or objects in a graph, while edges are the lines or connections between these points.

4. What is the difference between a directed and an undirected graph?

In a directed graph, the edges have a specific direction, indicating a one-way relationship between the vertices. On the other hand, in an undirected graph, the edges have no direction, and the relationship between vertices is bidirectional.

5. How is graph theory used in real-life problem-solving?

Graph theory is used in real-life problem-solving by providing a visual representation of complex systems and relationships, allowing for easier analysis and decision-making. It also helps in finding the shortest or most efficient path between two points, identifying critical points or nodes, and detecting patterns and anomalies in networks.