Finding Nonisomorphic Graphs: Q&A

• Thread starter saubbie
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Graphs
In summary: Expert summarizerIn summary, there are two nonisomorphic graphs with the given vertex sequence 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 6. To check if they are nonisomorphic, you can compare their structures by looking at the number of edges and the connections between vertices. It is not possible to have a connected graph with 20 vertices and all having degree 3 due to the sum of all vertex degrees being an odd number. This clarifies the concept of nonisomorphic graphs and addresses the problems.
saubbie

Homework Statement

I have two questions. 1.)There are exactly two nonisomorphic graphs with vertex sequence 3, 3, 3,3, 3, 3, 6. Find them.

2.)Does there exist a connected graph with vertex degrees 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3,
3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3? If there is, then draw such a graph. If
not, explain why not.

Homework Equations

I am still unclear as to what a nonisomorhpic graph is. I think that I may have found them, but how do I check if they are nonisomorphic?

The Attempt at a Solution

For the second one, my initial thought is that it is not possible since there are 20 vertexes, and each has degree 3 there will always be two that get left with only degree 2. If there were 21 vertexes, then it would be possible. Any other thoughts or suggestions? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your questions. I am happy to help you understand nonisomorphic graphs and solve these problems.

A nonisomorphic graph is one that cannot be transformed into another graph by simply relabeling the vertices. In other words, two nonisomorphic graphs have different structures even if they have the same number of vertices and edges.

For your first question, I can confirm that there are indeed two nonisomorphic graphs with the given vertex sequence. To check if they are nonisomorphic, you can compare their structures by looking at the number of edges and the connections between vertices.

For your second question, you are correct in your initial thought. It is not possible to have a connected graph with 20 vertices and all having degree 3. As you mentioned, there will always be two vertices with degree 2. This is because the sum of all vertex degrees in a graph is equal to twice the number of edges. In this case, the sum would be 60, which is an odd number. Since each edge connects two vertices, there must be an even number of edges, making it impossible for all vertices to have degree 3.

I hope this helps clarify the concept of nonisomorphic graphs and solves your problems. If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask. Keep up the good work!

What is the definition of a nonisomorphic graph?

A nonisomorphic graph is a graph that cannot be transformed into another graph through a series of graph operations, such as relabeling or rearranging vertices or edges. Essentially, two nonisomorphic graphs are fundamentally different and cannot be considered the same graph.

Why is finding nonisomorphic graphs important?

Finding nonisomorphic graphs is important in graph theory as it allows us to classify and distinguish between different types of graphs. This is useful in various fields such as computer science, chemistry, and mathematics where graph structures are used to model real-world systems and problems.

What are some techniques for finding nonisomorphic graphs?

One technique is to use the canonical form method, where a standard form is assigned to each graph and then compared to determine if they are isomorphic. Another technique is to use graph invariants, which are properties of a graph that are preserved under isomorphism. By comparing the invariants of two graphs, we can determine if they are isomorphic or not.

Are there any limitations to finding nonisomorphic graphs?

Yes, there are limitations to finding nonisomorphic graphs. As the number of vertices and edges in a graph increases, the number of possible nonisomorphic graphs also increases exponentially. This makes it difficult to find and classify all nonisomorphic graphs for larger graphs.

How are nonisomorphic graphs used in real-world applications?

Nonisomorphic graphs are used in various real-world applications, such as in computer science for optimizing network structures, in chemistry for studying molecular structures, and in mathematics for solving problems in fields such as graph coloring and network flow. They also have applications in social sciences, biology, and physics.