1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Graph Theory

1. Jul 5, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Show that if every region in a planar graph has an even number of bounding edges, then the vertices can be 2-colored.

3. The attempt at a solution

So i think it would suffice to show that if that all the regions have an even number of boundary edges, then, a complete circuit with even length must exist.

But i dont know if thats true or how to prove it.

Any help is appreciated.
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 5, 2008 #2
    any takers?
  4. Jul 6, 2008 #3
    Sorry for the bump, but i still need help on this.
  5. Jul 6, 2008 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It's obviously true for a graph with only one face … so how about a proof by induction? :smile:
  6. Jul 7, 2008 #5
    so im guessing we do an induction on the number of regions.

This is obvious when there is only 2 regions.

Assume this is true for a graph with n regions, each having an even number of bounding edges.

then for n+1 regions...

i get stuck here. im guessing we can some how show that something with n+1 even bounded regions some how is equal/equivalant/isomorphic (whatever the correct terminology is) to another graph with n regions. but i dont know how to phrase this.
  7. Jul 7, 2008 #6

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

For n+1 regions, just delete one of the boundaries to give only n regions. Colour the vertices of that, then colour the extra vertices you just removed … all you have to prove is that those extra colours still fit. :smile:
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?