Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Graph Theory

1. Jul 5, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Show that if every region in a planar graph has an even number of bounding edges, then the vertices can be 2-colored.

3. The attempt at a solution

So i think it would suffice to show that if that all the regions have an even number of boundary edges, then, a complete circuit with even length must exist.

But i dont know if thats true or how to prove it.

Any help is appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 5, 2008 #2
    any takers?

4. Jul 6, 2008 #3
    Sorry for the bump, but i still need help on this.

5. Jul 6, 2008 #4

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi SNOOTCHIEBOOCHEE! :smile:

It's obviously true for a graph with only one face … so how about a proof by induction? :smile:

6. Jul 7, 2008 #5
    so im guessing we do an induction on the number of regions.

This is obvious when there is only 2 regions.

Assume this is true for a graph with n regions, each having an even number of bounding edges.

then for n+1 regions...

i get stuck here. im guessing we can some how show that something with n+1 even bounded regions some how is equal/equivalant/isomorphic (whatever the correct terminology is) to another graph with n regions. but i dont know how to phrase this.

7. Jul 7, 2008 #6

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi SNOOTCHIEBOOCHEE! :smile:

For n+1 regions, just delete one of the boundaries to give only n regions. Colour the vertices of that, then colour the extra vertices you just removed … all you have to prove is that those extra colours still fit. :smile:

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook