1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Graph Theory

1. Jan 18, 2010 #1
    Hi

Is graph theory a more pure or applied subject?

I thought it was pure but now I am confusing myself because it has so many applications.

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. May 31, 2010 #2
    It is both a theoretical and applied subject. You will decide how you'll use it. You can construct proofs and/or you can experiment with numerous graphs, their properties and their application. but a theoretical background is a must

4. May 31, 2010 #3
    I'd say pure. When I took graph theory, it was all about proving stuff about graphs (which is far from easy!).

5. May 31, 2010 #4

epenguin

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I have dabbled in it both for fascination of 'pure' aspects and for some applications.

Would it be useful to classify it not by, or not only by, the pure/applied axis but along the concrete/abstract axis. It no doubt has abstract aspects, but it is often about perfectly 'concretely' visualisable things, whether they are useful or not and they always might be - a bit like 2 and 3D Euclidean geometry. Is that not one nice thing about it - for some of us?

Is not another nice aspect that it is relatively independent of other branches of mathematics, so a beginner can go quite far without a vast mathematical background?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook