Proving Graph G Connectivity After Removing Arc (i,j)

• Thread starter jetoso
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Arc Graph
In summary, the statement is that a graph remains connected even after deleting an arc (i,j) if and only if that arc is part of a cycle in the graph. This can be proven by labeling the nodes, showing the existence of a spanning tree, and using the transitivity of connectivity to demonstrate that there is still a path between the endpoints of the deleted arc. Conversely, if an arc is removed from a cycle, the resulting graph is still connected since it is the union of the connected components containing the endpoints and the complement of the removed edge.
jetoso
I am having problems to prove this: Show that a graph G remains connected even after deleting an arc (i,j) iff arc (i,j) belongs to some cycle in G.
Grapgh G = (N, A), N = set of points of nodes, and A = set of arcs; an arc is an edge from node i to a different node j from N.

Any suggestions?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
You've deleted arc(i,j) but arc(i,j) is part of a cycle, so can you see that there still exists a path from i to j?

Yes, in fact there still is one path between them. But my problem is trying to find a formal proof to show the if condition and the only if condition as well.

label the nodes. and then show that there exists a spantree

Oh, do you mean that deleting one arc from a cycle implies that there is a subgraph such that it includes all the nodes of the original graph G and some of the arcs of it?

If we delete the arc A that has end points x and y and it is still connected, then there is still a path from x to y, call it B, and tehn the union of A and B is...

conversely, if there is a cycle C and we remove some edge from between x and y then it is still connected since the resulting graph is the union of the connected component containing x, the connected component containing y, and x and y are still connected by the complement ot the removed edge in the arc.

connectivity is transitive: if r is connnected to s and s is connected to t then r is connected to t.

1. What is the purpose of proving graph G connectivity after removing arc (i,j)?

The purpose of proving graph G connectivity after removing arc (i,j) is to determine if the removal of the arc (i,j) would disconnect the graph or not. This is important in understanding the overall structure and connectivity of the graph.

2. How is the connectivity of a graph determined?

The connectivity of a graph is determined by examining the paths between vertices. If there is at least one path between all pairs of vertices, the graph is considered connected. Removing an arc may potentially disconnect the graph, and it is important to prove or disprove this to understand the graph's connectivity.

3. What is the process for proving graph G connectivity after removing arc (i,j)?

The process for proving graph G connectivity after removing arc (i,j) involves examining the remaining arcs and vertices to determine if there is still at least one path between all pairs of vertices. This can be done through visual inspection or by using algorithms and mathematical techniques.

4. What are some common techniques for proving graph G connectivity after removing arc (i,j)?

Some common techniques for proving graph G connectivity after removing arc (i,j) include using depth-first search or breadth-first search algorithms, examining the graph's adjacency matrix, and using mathematical proofs such as induction or contradiction.

5. Why is it important to prove graph G connectivity after removing arc (i,j)?

It is important to prove graph G connectivity after removing arc (i,j) because it helps us understand the overall structure and connectivity of the graph. This information can be useful in various fields such as computer science, transportation planning, and network analysis.