1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Graph this ?

1. Sep 7, 2004 #1
    graph this plz?

How do I graph x=y-y^2? what would it look like? my calc is extremely rusty so if you can help me out, that'd be great. Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 7, 2004 #2

Tide

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It's a parabola with a vertex at (0.75, 0.5). It crosses the x axis at x = 0 and it crosses the y axis at y = 0 and y = 1. Can you take it from there?

4. Sep 8, 2004 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I don't get the vertex that Tide did.
    The "base" parabola, of the form x=y2 (or y= x2) has vertex at (0,0) because if x is not 0, x2 is positive and not below 0. x=y-y2 is not a "perfect square" but you can complete the square: x= -(y2- y+ 1/4) +1/4 (half of the coefficient of y is -1/2 and the square of that is 1/4 so I add and subtract 1/4. When I take the -1/4 out of the parentheses, it is multiplied by that leading -1). The point of that is that -(y2- y+ 1/4)= -(y- 1/2)2, a perfect square.
    We now have x= -(y- 1/2)2+ 1/4. If y= 1/2, then x= 1/4 (not 3/4). If y is any other number, (y-1/2)2 is positive so -(y-1/2)2 is negative and x is less than 1/4. The vertex is (1/4, 1/2). Of course, its easy to see, since x= y- y2= y(1- y), that if y= 0 or 1, x is 0. Knowing that the parabola passes through (0,1), (1/4,0), and (0,0) and x is never larger than 1/4 should make it easy to draw.

5. Sep 8, 2004 #4

Tide

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Note to self: [itex]\frac {1}{2} - \frac {1}{4} = \frac {1}{4}[/itex]

(Thanks, Halls!)

6. Sep 9, 2004 #5
    how would i enter this in a graphics calculator to graph it?

7. Sep 9, 2004 #6

Tide

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

There are two ways to do that

(a) Interchange the labels x and y and enter them into your calculator recognizing that the x axis on your display is really the y axis and likewise for the y axis.

(b) Solve your original equation for y in terms of x and plot each of the two equations on the same graph.

8. Sep 9, 2004 #7
    so if i use option b, i graph y=x and y=1-x ?

9. Sep 10, 2004 #8

Tide

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No, you solve the quadratic equation [itex]y^2-y + x = 0[/itex] for y and plot the two y's that you get from that.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?