Graphing Linear Equations: Solving x2+4x-7=0 with Hints

• Thread starter chikis
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Graph
In summary, the student is told to draw a linear graph on the same axis such that the intersection of the two graph will give the solutions to the equation x2+ 4x - 7 =0.
chikis
Hello folks, here is a problem. I don't know how and where to start solving it:
A student is told to draw a linear graph on the same axis such that the intersection of the two graph will give the solutions to the equation x2+ 4x -7 =0. What is the equation of the linear graph he needs to draw?
A. x=1 B. x=-1 C. y=1 D. y=-1 E. x+y=1
I don't know where to start from. Can anyone help? Just give me hints that I will follow in proceeding towards the calculation. Please note that I mean x squared when I wrote x2. Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
hello chikis! :smile:
chikis said:
A student is told to draw a linear graph on the same axis such that the intersection of the two graph …

but what's the first graph? :confused:

tiny-tim said:
hello chikis! :smile:

but what's the first graph? :confused:

The first graph is a quadratic graph (y=x2+4x-6).

chikis said:
The first graph is a quadratic graph (y=x2+4x-6).

ok, so you need to combine y = x2 + 4x - 6 with x2 + 4x - 7 = 0 :wink:

tiny-tim said:
ok, so you need to combine y = x2 + 4x - 6 with x2 + 4x - 7 = 0 :wink:

You mean I should combine them by adding it up together as in y= (x2+4x-6) + (x2+4x-7)=0. Is that what you mean?

no, i mean combine them as in simultaneous equations :smile:

('cos you want them to be simultaneously true :wink:)

tiny-tim said:
no, i mean combine them as in simultaneous equations :smile:

('cos you want them to be simultaneously true :wink:)

You mean I should arrange and solve them like this like if am solving simultanous equation?:
y=x2+4x-6
x2+4x-7=0.
Is that what you mean?

yes! :smile:

tiny-tim said:
yes! :smile:

That cannot be true because all the two equation resembles quadratic equation. In that case it (the both equation) cannot be solved simultanously. For that to be possible it means that one of the equation has to be linear and the other quadratic.

chikis said:
That cannot be true because all the two equation resembles quadratic equation. In that case it (the both equation) cannot be solved simultanously.

no, the second equation isn't y = x2 + 4x - 7 :wink:

tiny-tim said:
no, the second equation isn't y = x2 + 4x - 7 :wink:

does that look like linear equation to you?

chikis said:
You mean I should arrange and solve them like this like if am solving simultanous equation?:
y=x2+4x-6
x2+4x-7=0.

just solve them!

tiny-tim said:
just solve them!

That cannot be possible. It can't work that way. Maybe you should try it; let's see what you will get. How about that?

1. What is a graph to find solutions?

A graph to find solutions is a visual representation of mathematical equations or problems. It consists of a series of points and lines that help to illustrate the relationship between different variables and can be used to determine the solutions to equations or problems.

2. How do you create a graph to find solutions?

To create a graph to find solutions, you will need to plot points on a coordinate plane and connect them with lines to represent the relationship between the variables. The variables can be represented on the x and y-axis, and you can use different colors or symbols to differentiate between different equations or problems.

3. What kind of problems can be solved using a graph?

A graph can be used to solve a wide range of problems, including linear equations, quadratic equations, and systems of equations. It can also be used to analyze data and make predictions based on patterns or trends.

4. How does a graph help in finding solutions?

A graph provides a visual representation of the relationships between variables, which can make it easier to understand and solve complex equations or problems. It allows you to see the patterns and trends in the data, which can help you to determine the solutions more accurately.

5. Are there any limitations to using a graph to find solutions?

While a graph can be a helpful tool in finding solutions, it does have some limitations. It may not be effective for solving complicated equations or problems with multiple variables. Additionally, the accuracy of the solutions may depend on the accuracy of the data plotted on the graph.