1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Graph transformations

1. Aug 11, 2007 #1
    Just a quick question, how do I shift this function 5 units to the right?
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 11, 2007 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Suppose you have a function [itex]y(x)[/itex].
    What are then the following functions?
    • [itex]y(x) + a[/itex]
    • [itex]y(x) - a[/itex]
    • [itex]y(x + a)[/itex]
    • [itex]y(x - a)[/itex]

If you don't see it, try filling in something simple like a linear graph (e.g. [itex]y(x) = x[/itex]) and plotting the functions (two points will do for these), then try to find the argument and check that it applies to any function.
  4. Aug 11, 2007 #3

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

In other words, Ri122, what is meant by "shift this function 5 units to the right"?
  5. Aug 11, 2007 #4
    Okay ill elaborate.
    Say the stationary point of a parabola is at (5,10). If i moved the graph 5 units to the right it would become (10,10).
  6. Aug 11, 2007 #5

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Okay so the parabola looks exactly the same execpt the x values are shifted by 5. If the original parabola was y= x2- 15, (so that y(5)= 52-15= 10) and changing x gives something of the form y= ( )2- 15, what would you put in the parentheses (i.e. changing x) so that y(10)= 15? Hint: if y= (x-5)2- 15, then y(10)= 52- 15= 10.

Now apply that idea, along with CompuChip's initial respons to your problem.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?