Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Graph transformations

1. Aug 11, 2007 #1
    Just a quick question, how do I shift this function 5 units to the right?
    y=(-.001/2)*(e^(x/1)+e^(-x/1))+1500

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 11, 2007 #2

CompuChip

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Suppose you have a function [itex]y(x)[/itex].
    What are then the following functions?
    • [itex]y(x) + a[/itex]
    • [itex]y(x) - a[/itex]
    • [itex]y(x + a)[/itex]
    • [itex]y(x - a)[/itex]

If you don't see it, try filling in something simple like a linear graph (e.g. [itex]y(x) = x[/itex]) and plotting the functions (two points will do for these), then try to find the argument and check that it applies to any function.

4. Aug 11, 2007 #3

HallsofIvy

Science Advisor

In other words, Ri122, what is meant by "shift this function 5 units to the right"?

5. Aug 11, 2007 #4
    Okay ill elaborate.
    Say the stationary point of a parabola is at (5,10). If i moved the graph 5 units to the right it would become (10,10).

6. Aug 11, 2007 #5

HallsofIvy

Science Advisor

Okay so the parabola looks exactly the same execpt the x values are shifted by 5. If the original parabola was y= x2- 15, (so that y(5)= 52-15= 10) and changing x gives something of the form y= ( )2- 15, what would you put in the parentheses (i.e. changing x) so that y(10)= 15? Hint: if y= (x-5)2- 15, then y(10)= 52- 15= 10.

Now apply that idea, along with CompuChip's initial respons to your problem.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook