Graph x^2-4x+3

1. Graph x^2-4x+3.

My question:

1) is -4x a slope?

I'm trying to graph this equation w/out using a calculator or plugging in points.

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Hurkyl

Hurkyl 16,089
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Do you know what kind of shape the graph has?

4. Yes, a parabola.

5. shmoe

shmoe 1,994
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You might try completing the square, this should make it clear how it relates to the graph of the good old y=x^2.

6. HallsofIvy

HallsofIvy 40,795
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

No, "-4x" is not a slope. The slope of a line is a number. If y= mx+ b then the slope is the number m. In the example given, y=x2- 4x+ 3, the graph is not a line and so doesn't have a slope. One definition of "derivative" is that the derivative, at any given value of x, is the slope of the tangent line.

7. How would you graph this equation w/out plugging in points or using a calculator?

8. CRGreathouse

CRGreathouse 3,682
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Why would you want to graph it?

9. b/c i want to know how to graph it :smile:

10. You know that it looks like a parabola. Are you familiar with the vertex form of the equation for a parabola? If so then doing what shmoe suggested would help you graph it.

11. HallsofIvy

HallsofIvy 40,795
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Well, I think it was in fifth grade where they taught me to make a list of x y values:

x y= x2- 4x+ 3
    0 3
    1 1- 4+ 3= 0
    -1 1+ 4+ 3= 8
    2 4- 8+ 3= -1
    -2 4+ 8+ 3= 15
    3 9- 12+ 3= 0
    -3 9+ 12+3= 24
    etc, mark the points (0,3), (1, 0), (-1, 8), (2, -1), (-2, 15), (3, 0), (-3, 24) and then draw a smooth curve through the points.

Another method, that I think I didn't learn until 9th or 10th grade was to complete the square: if y= x2- 4x+ 3= x2- 4x+ 4- 4+ 3= (x- 2)2- 1. The graph is a parabola with vertex (2, -1) opening upward.

12. i was looking through my math book, and it showed me how to graph it.

it doesn't hurt to sound stupid sometimes. at least, you are learning something.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2006
Know someone interested in this topic? Share a link to this question via email, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?