Can the graph (| x | ^ n) + (| y | ^ n) = 1 be applied in real life situations?

• Thread starter hahahamanify
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Graph
In summary, the conversation is about exploring the graph (| x | ^ n) + (| y | ^ n) = 1 and its potential real-life applications. The speaker is curious about any existing research on this graph and how the information can be used to solve practical problems. They also mention the endless possibilities of applying mathematics in various fields.
hahahamanify
Help me please!

I explore the graph (| x | ^ n) + (| y | ^ n) = 1.

I am interested in whether there investigation of such a graph, and if so in what areas? I am also interested in how to use the information I received (I have found how the area inside the graph depending on n) to solve some of the real life situations or problems.

Thank you very much!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
You can always be creative in mathematics and come up with your own ideas when it comes to application. Mathematics is the basic language of all materialism, so the applications can be endless.

gikiian said:
You can always be creative in mathematics and come up with your own ideas when it comes to application. Mathematics is the basic language of all materialism, so the applications can be endless.
I would be infinitely thankful if you would come up with one for me)

1. What is a graph?

A graph is a visual representation of data or information. It consists of points or coordinates plotted on a Cartesian plane, connected by lines or curves.

2. What does (|x|^n)+(|y|^n)=1 mean?

This equation is known as a power function and it represents a shape on a graph. The variable 'x' and 'y' represent the coordinates on the Cartesian plane, and 'n' represents the power or exponent of the function.

3. What is the shape of the graph when n=2?

When n=2, the equation (|x|^2)+(|y|^2)=1 represents a circle on the graph. This is because when x and y are squared, the resulting values will always be positive, and when added together, they will always equal 1.

4. How do you graph (|x|^n)+(|y|^n)=1?

To graph this equation, you will need to plot points on the Cartesian plane that satisfy the equation. You can do this by assigning different values to 'x' and 'y' and solving for the resulting points. Then, plot these points on the graph and connect them to create a shape.

5. What is the significance of the exponent 'n' in the equation?

The exponent 'n' determines the shape of the graph. Different values of 'n' will result in different shapes, such as a circle when n=2 or a square when n=4. It also affects the steepness or curvature of the graph.