1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Graphene conductivity

1. Nov 20, 2014 #1
    Hi
    I've made what I think is graphene. I first put the solution on cardboard and then I put some on polyethylene.
    When they had dried, I tested conductivity with a digital multimeter with the scale set on megaohms.
    The cardboard was nonconducting, but the sample on poly to my astonishment showed a negative resistance.
    I touched the 2 probes together and they read zero, touched them back to the poly sample and again got anegative resistance. Since I am confident that thermodynamic laws are fully universal on all scales governing all energy interactions from solar concentrators to theoretical maxwell demons involving measuring quantum states, there has to be a conservative explanation. Is it some sort of capacitive effect?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 20, 2014 #2

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Negative resistance? You're discharging static charge on the polyethylene.

4. Nov 20, 2014 #3
    Thanks for that. So if I connected the sample to earth first, that would eliminate the faulty reading?

5. Nov 20, 2014 #4

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Sample and meter leads (and probably your hands) to the same ground should take care of it.

6. Nov 21, 2014 #5
    Hang on, just caught up to you...earth everything to discharge and then measure after disconnecting earth.
    Will try that and a couple of other ideas like putting foil on the other side of the polyethylene and connecting that to the sample so it acts like a shorted cap. Cheers mate

7. Nov 23, 2014 #6
    What I found was perhaps not electrostatic discharge. Apparently graphene demonstrates negative resistance or negative differential resistance where an increase of current through the material counter intuitively leads to a drop in voltage. Researchers intographene transistors are seeking to exploit the effect as they predict switching speeds over 400Ghz. It certainly explains why I was unable to detect any significqnt electrstatic charge with the hypersensitive e-field meter I have( its not a DMM). Going to look into this effect more and see if I can come up with anymore uses for it.
    I'll keep you posted. Many thanks for the feedback

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook