Can Graphene Be Effectively Used in Solar Sails?

In summary, graphene has potential for use in solar sails due to its strength and thinness, but it may face challenges with radiation, extreme temperatures, and efficiency in converting light into momentum. Further research is needed to determine its viability for this application.
YoungDreamer
I am wondering if the properties of graphene could have implications for solar sails.
I don't know much about graphene but I do know that it is only an atom thick and very very strong and theoretically can be made of infinite size.

Are there any problems that graphene would face in terms of radiation or extreme temperatures, or any other properties of space that would interact with graphene in a negative way that would render it useless as a sail?
And since graphite is a dark color I assume graphene would be dark as well. If I am not mistaken this is a result of the amount of light that it absorbs, so my question about that aspect of it is, in a vacuum could graphene absorb photons and turn their kenetic energy into momentum?
And finally if the absorbtion of light isn't the best way to make it work, is there a better way, or is there just a better material altogether?

Physics news on Phys.org
Many people dream of graphene for that application. Question is just: HOW?

Meanwhile, you can try to make polyimide film thinner than industrially available. My process there:
saposjoint.net/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=66&t=2102#p24358

It is definitely an interesting idea to consider using graphene for solar sails. However, there are a few potential challenges that would need to be addressed before it could be a viable option.

One potential issue is its vulnerability to radiation. In space, there are high levels of radiation that could potentially damage the structure of graphene and weaken its strength. This could be a problem if the sail is meant to be deployed for extended periods of time.

Another challenge is extreme temperatures. In space, temperatures can vary greatly, from extreme cold to intense heat. Graphene is known to have a high thermal conductivity, which means it can transfer heat quickly. This could be problematic for a solar sail as it could cause uneven heating and potentially damage the structure.

In terms of its ability to absorb light and convert it into momentum, it is important to note that graphene is not a perfect absorber of light. It can absorb some light, but it also reflects a significant amount. This means that it may not be the most efficient material for a solar sail. Additionally, its dark color could also potentially cause it to absorb too much heat and lead to the temperature issues mentioned earlier.

Overall, while graphene has some promising properties, it may not be the best material for a solar sail. There may be other materials that are better suited for this purpose, or there may be ways to modify graphene to make it more suitable. Further research and experimentation would be needed to determine its feasibility.

1. What is graphene and how is it used in solar sails?

Graphene is a one-atom-thick layer of carbon atoms arranged in a hexagonal lattice. It is known for its high strength, light weight, and excellent electrical and thermal conductivity. In solar sails, graphene can be used as a thin, flexible, and highly reflective material to capture and reflect sunlight, providing propulsion for spacecraft.

2. How efficient is graphene as a material for solar sails?

Graphene has a theoretical efficiency of 100% for reflecting light, making it an ideal material for solar sails. However, the practical efficiency will depend on the manufacturing process and the design of the sail. Research is still ongoing to improve the efficiency of graphene-based solar sails.

3. Can graphene withstand the harsh conditions of space?

Yes, graphene has shown to be highly durable and can withstand extreme temperatures and radiation in space. It has been tested in simulated space environments and has shown no degradation in its properties.

4. How does graphene compare to other materials used in solar sails?

Graphene has several advantages over other materials used in solar sails. It is much lighter, stronger, and more flexible than traditional materials like aluminum or Mylar. It also has a higher reflectivity, making it more efficient in capturing sunlight for propulsion.

5. Is graphene expensive to produce for solar sails?

Currently, producing high-quality graphene is still a costly process. However, as technology advances, the cost is expected to decrease. Additionally, the potential efficiency and durability of graphene in solar sails may offset the initial cost in the long run.