Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Graphic Exponentials help

1. Jan 13, 2010 #1
    The graph of a function with equation y=e^(2x) - 3ke^(x) +5 intersects the axes at (0.0) and (a,0) and has a horizontal asymptote at y=b. Find the exact values of a,b and k.

I tried assigning a variable to e^x but struck a dead end.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 13, 2010 #2
    Re: Exponentials

If (0, 0) is a point on the graph, then you can replace y and x with 0 to solve for k, and a won't be hard to solve for after that.
    Have you found b?

4. Jan 13, 2010 #3

oooohk so i found k and it equals 2 and also a which equals loge(5). and no i haven't found b

5. Jan 13, 2010 #4

not sure how to find b

6. Jan 13, 2010 #5

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

If [itex]z=e^x[/itex], you have [itex]y=z^2-6z+5[/itex]. Does that help?

7. Jan 13, 2010 #6

Think of what happens with y = e2x - 3kex as x→∞ or -∞. Does it approach a certain value? What happens when you shift the graph up 5 units with the +5?

8. Jan 13, 2010 #7

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

vela is leading you toward finding the x-intercepts, and Bohrok is leading you toward finding the horizontal asymptote.

9. Jan 14, 2010 #8

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Yeah, I misread the problem. Ignore what I said.

10. Jan 14, 2010 #9

Mark44

No, not a problem. I was just pointing out to the OP that the two of you were looking at different parts of the problem.

11. Jan 14, 2010 #10

hey im still having trouble understanding what the horizontal asymptote is.

12. Jan 14, 2010 #11

b is 5 but i dont get why

13. Jan 14, 2010 #12

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

What does the function do as x goes to infinity or -infinity?

14. Jan 14, 2010 #13

do i have to use the calculator to do that?

15. Jan 14, 2010 #14

Of course not!

Just try to puzzle out where y goes for x-> -oo. I've excluded +oo to get you to understand something important. Use the fact that for any x, x^a =0 if a-->-oo.

16. Jan 14, 2010 #15

Mark44

This not true for 0 < x < 1. Even if you limit it to x > 1, x^a merely approaches zero as a gets large. x^a is not equal to zero for any real value of a.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2010
  17. Jan 14, 2010 #16

ook,as x approaches -infinity it gets closer to 5 but at a certain -x value, y actually equals 5. Which isnt right because its suppose to be an asymptote. And also why exclude positive infinity??

18. Jan 14, 2010 #17

Mark44

as x approaches -infinity y approaches 5. The use of "it" is confusing because a casual reader would think you were talking about x. There is no negative value of x for which y = e2x - 6ex + 5 equals 5. In fact, for x < 0, y is always < 5, but it gets infinitesimally close to 5 the more negative x gets.

There is a positive value of x for which y = 5, but we're talking about asymptotic behavior for x < 0, i.e., behavior for very negative x values.

19. Jan 14, 2010 #18

Im not sure if im doing something wrong but I just substituted -15 into x and y equaled 5 but as i get more negative like x=-1000, y still equals 5.

20. Jan 14, 2010 #19

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

You're probably running into the limitations of your calculator. For x=-15, to ten decimal places, y=4.9999981645, which is within two-millionths of 5. At x=-1000, y differs from 5 by about [itex]3\times10^{-434}[/itex].

21. Jan 14, 2010 #20

oh yea vela you're right, i just tried it on a different calculator.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook