1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Graphic Exponentials help

1. Jan 13, 2010 #1
    The graph of a function with equation y=e^(2x) - 3ke^(x) +5 intersects the axes at (0.0) and (a,0) and has a horizontal asymptote at y=b. Find the exact values of a,b and k.

I tried assigning a variable to e^x but struck a dead end.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 13, 2010 #2
    Re: Exponentials

If (0, 0) is a point on the graph, then you can replace y and x with 0 to solve for k, and a won't be hard to solve for after that.
    Have you found b?

4. Jan 13, 2010 #3

oooohk so i found k and it equals 2 and also a which equals loge(5). and no i haven't found b

5. Jan 13, 2010 #4

not sure how to find b

6. Jan 13, 2010 #5

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

If [itex]z=e^x[/itex], you have [itex]y=z^2-6z+5[/itex]. Does that help?

7. Jan 13, 2010 #6

Think of what happens with y = e2x - 3kex as x→∞ or -∞. Does it approach a certain value? What happens when you shift the graph up 5 units with the +5?

8. Jan 13, 2010 #7

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

vela is leading you toward finding the x-intercepts, and Bohrok is leading you toward finding the horizontal asymptote.

9. Jan 14, 2010 #8

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Yeah, I misread the problem. Ignore what I said.

10. Jan 14, 2010 #9

Mark44

No, not a problem. I was just pointing out to the OP that the two of you were looking at different parts of the problem.

11. Jan 14, 2010 #10

hey im still having trouble understanding what the horizontal asymptote is.

12. Jan 14, 2010 #11

b is 5 but i dont get why

13. Jan 14, 2010 #12

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

What does the function do as x goes to infinity or -infinity?

14. Jan 14, 2010 #13

do i have to use the calculator to do that?

15. Jan 14, 2010 #14

Of course not!

Just try to puzzle out where y goes for x-> -oo. I've excluded +oo to get you to understand something important. Use the fact that for any x, x^a =0 if a-->-oo.

16. Jan 14, 2010 #15

Mark44

This not true for 0 < x < 1. Even if you limit it to x > 1, x^a merely approaches zero as a gets large. x^a is not equal to zero for any real value of a.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2010
  17. Jan 14, 2010 #16

ook,as x approaches -infinity it gets closer to 5 but at a certain -x value, y actually equals 5. Which isnt right because its suppose to be an asymptote. And also why exclude positive infinity??

18. Jan 14, 2010 #17

Mark44

as x approaches -infinity y approaches 5. The use of "it" is confusing because a casual reader would think you were talking about x. There is no negative value of x for which y = e2x - 6ex + 5 equals 5. In fact, for x < 0, y is always < 5, but it gets infinitesimally close to 5 the more negative x gets.

There is a positive value of x for which y = 5, but we're talking about asymptotic behavior for x < 0, i.e., behavior for very negative x values.

19. Jan 14, 2010 #18

Im not sure if im doing something wrong but I just substituted -15 into x and y equaled 5 but as i get more negative like x=-1000, y still equals 5.

20. Jan 14, 2010 #19

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

You're probably running into the limitations of your calculator. For x=-15, to ten decimal places, y=4.9999981645, which is within two-millionths of 5. At x=-1000, y differs from 5 by about [itex]3\times10^{-434}[/itex].

21. Jan 14, 2010 #20

oh yea vela you're right, i just tried it on a different calculator.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook