Finding the Intercepts and Asymptote of a Graph with Exponential Functions

• Thread starter TyErd
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Graphic
In summary: Vela is leading you toward finding the x-intercepts, and Bohrok is leading you toward finding the horizontal asymptote.In summary, the graph of a function with equation y=e^(2x) - 3ke^(x) +5 intersects the axes at (0.0) and (a,0) and has a horizontal asymptote at y=b. Find the exact values of a,b and k.
TyErd
The graph of a function with equation y=e^(2x) - 3ke^(x) +5 intersects the axes at (0.0) and (a,0) and has a horizontal asymptote at y=b. Find the exact values of a,b and k.

I tried assigning a variable to e^x but struck a dead end.

Physics news on Phys.org

If (0, 0) is a point on the graph, then you can replace y and x with 0 to solve for k, and a won't be hard to solve for after that.
Have you found b?

oooohk so i found k and it equals 2 and also a which equals loge(5). and no i haven't found b

not sure how to find b

If [itex]z=e^x[/itex], you have [itex]y=z^2-6z+5[/itex]. Does that help?

Think of what happens with y = e2x - 3kex as x→∞ or -∞. Does it approach a certain value? What happens when you shift the graph up 5 units with the +5?

vela said:
Bohrok said:
Think of what happens with y = e2x - 3kex as x→∞ or -∞. Does it approach a certain value? What happens when you shift the graph up 5 units with the +5?
vela is leading you toward finding the x-intercepts, and Bohrok is leading you toward finding the horizontal asymptote.

Mark44 said:
vela is leading you toward finding the x-intercepts, and Bohrok is leading you toward finding the horizontal asymptote.
Yeah, I misread the problem. Ignore what I said.

vela said:

vela said:
Yeah, I misread the problem. Ignore what I said.
No, not a problem. I was just pointing out to the OP that the two of you were looking at different parts of the problem.

hey I am still having trouble understanding what the horizontal asymptote is.

b is 5 but i don't get why

What does the function do as x goes to infinity or -infinity?

do i have to use the calculator to do that?

TyErd said:
do i have to use the calculator to do that?

Of course not!

Just try to puzzle out where y goes for x-> -oo. I've excluded +oo to get you to understand something important. Use the fact that for any x, x^a =0 if a-->-oo.

Altabeh said:
Of course not!
Use the fact that for any x, x^a =0 if a-->-oo.

This not true for 0 < x < 1. Even if you limit it to x > 1, x^a merely approaches zero as a gets large. x^a is not equal to zero for any real value of a.

Last edited:

ook,as x approaches -infinity it gets closer to 5 but at a certain -x value, y actually equals 5. Which isn't right because its suppose to be an asymptote. And also why exclude positive infinity??

TyErd said:
ook,as x approaches -infinity it gets closer to 5 but at a certain -x value, y actually equals 5. Which isn't right because its suppose to be an asymptote. And also why exclude positive infinity??

as x approaches -infinity y approaches 5. The use of "it" is confusing because a casual reader would think you were talking about x. There is no negative value of x for which y = e2x - 6ex + 5 equals 5. In fact, for x < 0, y is always < 5, but it gets infinitesimally close to 5 the more negative x gets.

There is a positive value of x for which y = 5, but we're talking about asymptotic behavior for x < 0, i.e., behavior for very negative x values.

Im not sure if I am doing something wrong but I just substituted -15 into x and y equaled 5 but as i get more negative like x=-1000, y still equals 5.

You're probably running into the limitations of your calculator. For x=-15, to ten decimal places, y=4.9999981645, which is within two-millionths of 5. At x=-1000, y differs from 5 by about [itex]3\times10^{-434}[/itex].

oh yea vela you're right, i just tried it on a different calculator.

What are graphic exponentials and why are they important?

Graphic exponentials are a type of mathematical function that represents an exponential growth or decay pattern. They are important because they can help us make predictions and understand trends in various scientific fields, such as biology, economics, and physics.

How do graphic exponentials differ from other types of functions?

Unlike linear or polynomial functions, graphic exponentials have a constant rate of change that increases or decreases exponentially. This means that the output values grow or decay at an increasing or decreasing rate, respectively.

What is the formula for a graphic exponential function?

The general formula for a graphic exponential function is y = ab^x, where a is the initial value, b is the growth or decay factor, and x is the independent variable. This formula can be modified for specific situations, such as continuous compounding or population growth.

How can graphic exponentials be used to make predictions?

By analyzing the trend of a graph of an exponential function, we can make predictions about future values. This can be useful in predicting population growth, investment returns, or the decay of radioactive elements.

What are some real-life applications of graphic exponentials?

Graphic exponentials have many real-life applications, including predicting stock market trends, modeling population growth, and understanding the spread of diseases. They are also used in fields such as physics, chemistry, and engineering to describe natural phenomena and make predictions.